Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubia roaches or crickets?

Thanks

Default Dubia roaches or crickets?

Weíre about to feed my gecko crickets soon and I donít know if Dubia roaches or better than crickets, if so you need to put calcium D3 on them and is it OK for the crickets to be frozen and dry. Tell me as soon as possible thank you

Thanks

Any other nutritious insects or good insects for growing geckos?

Thanks

In my personal experience, my geckos show no interest whatsoever in the freeze-dried crickets. I like to feed the dubias better because they're easier to keep - no smell, no sound, and they last longer. Yes, you still need to dust them (roaches or crickets) with Calcium/D3.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

you loose nutritional value of something once it's freezed or dried. plus, geckos aren't interested in things unless they're moving hehe.

Like TAD said, still need the D3. I always liked roaches over crickets. Less risk of parasites, roaches don't bite, and they're also a lot more nutrient packed than crickets. The no smell/no noise thing is just an added plus hehe. Plus i can put the roaches in a small, tall sided bowl IN the gecko tanks and never have to worry about escapees because roaches can't climb smooth surfaces
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

TAD (12-31-2017)

Thanks

Thanks Iíve heard that phoeinex worms work too. Back to the roaches can you use a cricket den and cricket food to keep the roaches alive? If not tell me what you use. Thank you

Thanks

Do you still need to feed the roaches outside of the container?

Thanks

You can feed the roaches inside the tank, just put them in a cup or jar lid with high sides - they can't fly or climb.

I keep my roaches in a small kids' bug box, with a couple of egg crate pieces for them to hide, and I cut up a paper towel into small squares and put in a piece of fruit or vegetable on a piece of the paper towel every other day. I mist lightly once a day too.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

I don't think many people have much success with feeding pheonix worms. It seems every time that someone tries them here their geckos don't eat them. They also seem very expensive (at least they are around here) and if they become adults you have flying insects on your hands unlike just jumping crickets or roaches. Hopefully you live somewhere where roaches are legal. In Canada and some states like Florida roaches are illegal to own.

Also make sure the roaches are the right size for your gecko. dubias may be a little big for a tiny hatchling. Make sure the length of the insect is no longer then the space between your geckos eyes.

Thanks

Thanks so do you put fruit and veggies in for food? If so how many veggies or fruit do you need to put in?

Thanks

I just put in a small piece (like fingernail size) every other day. If it's a small colony, they won't eat much, and you won't even really be able to tell.
    Eileen