Thread: crab climbing background safe for geckos?

Default crab climbing background safe for geckos?

Hello,
    I was at petco recently and on clearance they had a mat of some type of fiberous material, it looked like coco husk kinda and its a background you put into a hermit crab tank for them to climb on and it helps keep humidity? I was wondering if something like that was transferable to a crested gecko tank? The only issue I see if the material possibly being to rough and the geckos not wanting to climb on it? Thankyou lmk what you guys think.
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

I'd be interested to know too. I think I've seen those. Are you thinking of it for a background, or a floor mat? I'd consider using it for a floor mat if it was washable (should be, if it is coco fibre - like the coco fiber they use in hanging planters), and I would put paper towels under it to absorb some moisture on the bottom of the tank. (I clean my tanks every two weeks, so they would get washed regularly.) I have half of a hanging basket in TAD's tank; I filled it with moss and keep that damp. That's easy to rinse at cleaning time and helps hold humidity.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

I honestly didnt even think of it as a floor mat, but I think it would work better as a background, I think im going to go back and get them if they are still there and try them out and see if they climb on it.
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Let us know what you think when you get them set up.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - E. agricolae 1.0.0
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0, Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0, Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0