Thread: Which size terrarium?

Question Which size terrarium?

In a little over three weeks I will be getting my first reptile, a crested gecko (super excited!!) I will be going to an expo to get an adult male. But I can't decide if I want a 24*18*24in, 18*18*36in, or 24*18*36in terrarium, all by exo terra. Which do you guys think will be better for the gecko? Is there too big of a terrarium? I am new to the world of geckos and will greatly appreciate any advice. (Cost is not an issue) Thanks!

Maybe the 18x18x36? Its not too big and it would house a gecko with lots of space!

I would go either 18x18x24, or 18x18x36. They really like heights, so probably the taller the better.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Is it possible that he would be overwhelmed by to much space?

Is it possible that it would be too big, and to where he would feel overwhelmed?

-nodnod- yes taller is better If you go with the 36 I'd make sure you have lots of vines and tall wood pieces so they can get up and down with ease. Maybe 2 feeding stations as well, one high one low
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Possible? yes. Honestly, i think you're safe with an 18 x 18 x 24 ASSUMING you actually come home with an ADULT. If you were to end up with a baby that would be too big to just put it into already. No matter what sized gecko you get you need to watch it closely though. Some geckos just prefer smaller tanks and will actually lose weight in one that is larger. Put them back in a smaller size and they'll gain again. It really depends on the gecko.

Since you're looking to get an adult, I wouldn't worry about too much space being an issue. As some others have mentioned, you could place two feeding stations in to increase his chances of finding the food. Once he figures out where it is, he'll be fine. I would go with an 18x18x36 if you have the space, but the 24" tall is what I use for my female and she does great in it! They'll definitely utilize height more than floorspace, and 18x18 footprint gives you a bit more flexibility with placing the tank. That may not be an issue for you though.
    0.1 Correlophus ciliatus (Momo)
    2.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Mickey & Apollo)
    1.1 Python regius (Mowgli & Sahara)