Thread: fruit flies?

Thanks

Default fruit flies?

So I had fruit flies swarming my terrarium for a while and I hated it, I switched the substrate from coconut fiber to paper towel to try and get rid of the fuit flies and I change the food every other day, but the fruit flies keep coming and they hide in the plants and on the wood... What can I do to get rid of fruit flies? I loved the coconut fiber substrate and want to re-use it without fruit flies, Any suggestions?

Thanks

maybe baking the substrate and wood?

Thanks

I had this problem over the summer. I tried putting a fruit fly trap next to the terrarium and then would still find them along with a very strange smell inside. After a couple of deep cleans I realized that the flies were somehow getting the vinegar from the trap on them and then flying into the terrarium. I moved the trap to a different part of the room, and then totally empties the enclosure, sprayed everything with disinfectant and hot water, and even put the terrarium in the shower and sprayed it down. They have not been back since.
    0.1.1 Correlophus Ciliatus (Gruffalo and Stitch)
    0.1 Paroedura Pictus (Luna)
    1.0 Lhasa Apso (Duke)

Thanks

deep clean the tank, and rinse the plants off REALLY well. fruit flies are a pain in the buuuuuutttt. Lay out an apple cider vinegar trap (super easy, just take a bowl, fill it about halfway with the vinegar, and put saran wrap over it and punch small holes in the top. The flies will go in, but are too dumb to get out bwuahahaha.

soak any wood in boiling water (I usually just put small pieces in the sink, boil water then pour over it and let the wood soak in it till it cools, or if you have big pieces, bathtub... and run the water on the hottest setting) or pressure spray the hell out of it lol. You want to get any and every little possible egg/fly off. Keep up with removing old food, as it does attract them. If your gecko likes to paint the walls with food footprints make sure to clean those up too. I think I remember someone once moved their tank into a different room as well to throw off the flys, but i'd be careful with that until you've 100% cleaned the tank, don't need fruit flies in 2 rooms lol
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Yeah i think imma do that but like i found some white things sticking out from its poop (they dont move) could they be eggs i removed it just in case

Thanks

I doubt you could ever see fruit fly eggs, they are very small. If you continue to see them I would suggest taking a stool sample into a vet to get your gecko checked for parasites. They could be the eggs/larvae/adult form of a parasite.

Thanks

As mentioned above you could set traps. I found the apple cider vinegar really effective in my house. Never had them in my tank though. Good luck.