Thread: A critter for a spare tank

Thanks

Default A critter for a spare tank

So now I have a spare 12x12x18 tank. Was thinking it would be nice to keep it at work, since I am running out of space at home. (Funny how that happens...)

Anyway, was trying to think of some low-maintenance critter I could keep in there...would have to be able to stay at a steady temp of 71 degrees, go for weekends without feeding/watering, and no live insect feeding except roaches or waxworms or mealworms - crickets are too hard to keep at work. Would not be adverse to keeping an insect in there either, but not sure how my co-workers would take to a hissing cockroach or the like...

Any suggestions for something that would work in these conditions? I love the thought of having a terrarium at work, and it would be even better if there was something living in it.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Some people would not put a gargoyle gecko in an enclosure that size, but I find that they are less mobile than crested geckos, so it's a consideration. You could also consider mourning geckos. They are parthenogenetic, don't have to eat crickets (but could benefit from them if you bring in the appropriate number of crickets once or twice a week). Google their care (as I just did) for details.

Aliza

Thanks

Maybe a tarantula? Snake? Snake would need a heat lamp.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I think both the tarantula and the snake would require live food as well; that would be tough to do at work. Looked at mourning geckos too, and that looked like a good possibility - good size and tank requirements, etc., although I don't know that I'd want to deal with a lot of eggs...??

On the other hand, if I don't get my leachie, a second garg might be fun too!

Not reptiles, but what about hermit crabs? Could they do well at temps around 70? I know they are often kept as classroom pets around here and were quite the fad for a while, but I have never had one.

**Edit - Not going with hermit crabs. They require higher temps and humidity than I can provide at work, and also read that most are wild-caught, which I would not want.

I have some time to figure out what I really want, so am just really looking for suggestions at the moment so I can do more research before I commit.
    Last edited by TAD; 02-21-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

I would look at toads- Bufo. Like an American toad, Woodhouse's toad, or whatever is available to you.
    Very personable and easy to keep, does fine at your temps, and will eat whatever small live invertebrate you care to throw in there. Unlikely to escape or frighten coworkers.

Thanks

If you get a good grow light, it could make a lovely terrarium. . .
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treebiscuit View Post
    If you get a good grow light, it could make a lovely terrarium. . .
    Tee hee...I have killed every plant I've ever had, with or without grow light. I have two brown thumbs. But - I do have pretty good luck with fake plants ( ), and if nothing else, I may just set that up for a little bit of jungle at my desk! I have a pretty realistic fake elephant-ear plant on my desk, and I am amazed at the number of people who come by and ask me what kind it is. I say "plastic" and they do a double-take.

I also just put together a little mini-terrarium in a Mr. Coffee coffeepot that I got at the thrift shop. I ordered a little dragon to put in it; when that comes, I'll post a pic. That was fun putting together - an inexpensive, interesting way to have a little greenery added to the boredom of cubespace!
    Last edited by TAD; 02-16-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Eileen