Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a TON of elk antlers. Has anyone ever used them in enclosures?

Thanks

Default Just got a TON of elk antlers. Has anyone ever used them in enclosures?

Obviously I plan to sterilize the ones that I use, in the oven at a low temp for a few hours. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with them. Ever had any problems? If so what? I also just wanted to share it because I thought it was a cool idea and thought some of you guys who have trouble finding a piece of wood big enough for the 40 gallon might appreciate the tip. Antlers can certainly be bought at over 36 inches long, unlike most manzanita and ghostwood. Its also pretty cheap if you go on ebay and etsy. WAY cheaper than ghostwood. I'd LOVE to see pictures of your tanks, fellow antler-users!

Thanks

My concern would be the tips- even if they aren’t sharp, they can still harm if not kill your gecko if she lands the right way on them. So you’ll definitely have to cover them somehow (great stuff should work) or place it where the tips are on the bottom of the enclosure. Also I would be concerned if they aren’t actually real antlers... usually you should be able to tell if they’re real or fake, but be careful. And yes, definitely bake them.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Sounds like a good idea! Are they prone to molding in humidity?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Sounds like a good idea! Are they prone to molding in humidity?
    They are not prone to molding that I know of. I've been keeping one in an extra enclosure and misting it daily and so far there are no problems.

Thanks

Can you tell me where you got them from? I've looked on eBay and Etsy, and am not finding any that are very inexpensive, except very small ones, or ones cut up for dog chews.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Can you tell me where you got them from? I've looked on eBay and Etsy, and am not finding any that are very inexpensive, except very small ones, or ones cut up for dog chews.
    I got them from this seller: https://www.etsy.com/shop/revampwood...ms-count#items

As you can see, he has really reasonable prices for big stuff, even for moose antlers. If you message him and tell him how you want to use it you might even get a discount. If it's still not cheap enough, I can send you one of the big ones I got (I ordered 1, got 6 of various sizes) that I got if you paypal me the shipping cost. Consider it a thank you for all your good advice over the ast year. I've learned so much from your posts.

Thanks

Another thing you can do is message the people who sell them as dog chews and ask them not to cut them up. THey probably have tons lying around and think they'll only be able to sell them as dog chews. Tell them you'll pay extra shipping costs and I bet you could find a really cheap one that's of good quality.

Thanks

PM'd you
    Eileen

Thanks

Here are the new pics of TAD's tank, with (naturally shed) antler added. He was using it the first night I put it in there. I really like it, because it's clean, not sharp, and gives him a few more places to climb toward the top of the tank. I'm also trying something else new; I bought a 36" piece of cork mat (like you use for outdoor hanging plants, only a flat piece), and I cut it in half and put it on top of the paper towels for a new substrate. It holds a little more humidity than just the paper towels alone, and outside of a little bit of cork threads coming loose when rinsing (use a sink strainer), it's working pretty well! One 36" piece was big enough for two tanks, and cost me $6. I just put both items in last weekend, so we'll see how they work out in the long run, but so far, so good! (Thanks Jessica!)

Eileen

Thanks

I really like the cork mat idea! Do you think it would last long? I would worry any poop/pee or spilled food would rot making you have to constantly replace it every few weeks.