Thread: Introducing geckos of different sizes?

Thanks

Default Introducing geckos of different sizes?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to add another gecko to my collection soon, as I just graduated and can devote more time to husbandry. I currently have a 55g female crestie, who lives in an 18x18x24 exo terra. I am planning on purchasing either an unsexed baby or a juvie. If the new gecko turns out to be female, I would like to explore the possibility of introducing her to the same enclosure as my current gecko. I understand that there is some risk associated with this, and would be extra vigilant in monitoring behavior for signs of aggression, however it would be great if I am able to establish even a small female colony. If any signs of aggression did occur, I would immediately separate them and house them separately. My main question is this: if I purchase a juvie or baby, what size should they be before I can safely attempt to introduce her to the tank? Obviously I would have to raise it separately until they are closer in size, but do they need to be virtually the same size? I would think that as long as the juvie is too big to be bullied (or confused for a snack ) then I'd be alright. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    0.1 Correlophus ciliatus (Momo)
    2.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Mickey & Apollo)
    1.1 Python regius (Mowgli & Sahara)

Thanks

Honestly I wouldn't house them together ever. Crested geckos are solitary animals and even if they seem to get along they could start fighting at any time and really hurt one another. There are tons of threads on here about one gecko suddenly starting to fight with it's cage mate, sometimes even killing and eating the other! If you do introduce they should be as close to the same size as possible. The larger the size difference the more likely the chances are that the larger one will fight with the smaller one or at the very least bully it enough so that it can't feed or spend time in the best hiding spots.

Thanks

Agreed. I wouldn't house them together at all. If you did, they'd have to be pretty much the same size, and even then, there's a pretty good chance they're going to fight.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

They'd have to be basically the exact same size for you to do this but I really wouldn't if I were you. There's no telling how stressed one or both could get, even without clear signs of aggression. That's the problem with animals- they can't tell us when they are stressed. And you may wake up to find one day, out of NOWHERE, that you've got a cannibal gecko on your hands.