Thread: Crested gecko not moving/not eating

Thanks

Default Crested gecko not moving/not eating

My crested gecko has not been eating and hasnít been moving much. Iíve had him for 3 weeks and have been misting his tank daily. I have noticed that he is also been walking strange and had stuck shed on his feet. He has not been jumping and when I hold him he barley moves or grips on with his feet or tail. I am very worried as this is my first time owning a crested gecko. Can anyone please help me.

Thanks

He's probably very active at night when you are sleeping, which is totally normal. You may not see him move much, or at all, during the day. For stuck shed, you can try a warm sauna - a small amount of warm water to cover the bottom of a container (Kritter Keeper or small tub, or the like), and just let him stay in it (supervised, of course!) for 5-10 minutes. That will sometimes help with the stuck shed. If still stuck, you may be able to get it off after a sauna with a little help from a q-tip, rolling it gently along the shed.

It's normal for them not to eat for up to 3-4 weeks in a new environment. If it is a small gecko, you may not even notice that he is eating, as they may take such small amounts at a time. Try to weigh him every couple of weeks (if hard to handle, put him in a small Gladware container, and weight it with him and without him to get an accurate weight). Weight is a good indicator of whether he is eating.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Thank you for replying but unfortunately he passed away this morning. He was in the same place as he was the night before and was not breathing.

Thanks

I am so sorry.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Really sorry for your loss.
    However I would suggest that you inform the place where you got the gecko from & let them know what symptoms he had. If the place has other geckos it's even more important that they are informed in case it's a something like a parasite problem which could effect other geckos too.
    Once again sorry for your loss.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

I would also add that I hope that won't discourage you from getting another. Just buy reputable if you can, and disinfect your tank really well before putting another reptile in it.
    Eileen

Thanks

Thank you, I Did end up getting another gecko and a bigger terrarium. She is a 3yr old female, I have noticed that every morning she has been buried under the substrate (had been doing this for a week) The breeder said she was with a male when we got her. I know that they do this when they lay eggs but, I have not found any eggs. What else could this be?

Thanks

Likely to be preparing to lay but on the other hand some like to dig.
    Are you misting enough as if too dry that could be a reason.
    If she does not have a water bowl I would suggest you add one.
    Congratulations on your new gecko.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

TAD (12-29-2017)