Thread: Vacation and Crested/Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Default Vacation and Crested/Leopard Gecko

So i have a crested gecko and I might be getting a leopard gecko soon but there's 1 problem i need help with... I don't go on vacation often but when i do, I leave for like 2 to 3 weeks and it's like once every few years... And I need help, how do I mist the crested and feed them both and keep proper water... My room is hot already so heating isnt really a problem but misting and feeding/watering is. And since i'll be leaving with my parents and my family is in a different country there's nobody to take care of them.. So how do i leave them alone for that long? Please help

Thanks

You canít leave any animal alone for that long. Youíll either need to board them with someone (ask at a vet office or a reputable pet store) or have someone come to your house daily. Do you have any responsible friends that could care for them? We use a pet sitting company that is insured etc.

We only go away for a week to ten days at a time and we have someone come daily. It gets expensive but thatís just part of being a responsible pet owner.

Thanks

Well if you are going on vacation soon I would wait to purchase the other gecko

My best advice is to find a friend to take care of the crestie.

Or maybe contact some kind of dog walkin/pet sitting service.. to come by once (preferably later in the evening) a day to mist/to feed.
    The next option would be to find a reptile enthusiast near you (or a veterinarian).. a place that will take care of your gecko while you are gone. These options most likely include payment.

This is a situation that should have been thought of before hand :/, please do not leave your gecko alone for a whole 3 weeks. That is a long time for something to go wrong

Thanks

No animal can be left alone for that long without care. You would be coming home to a dead pet guaranteed. Please get someone to come to your house everyday to care for your gecko or find a place to take it like a vet or other pet service that will care for it for you while you are gone.

Thanks

Ok so update the vacation is 10 days max and i got a friend who will come a few times a week

Thanks

Well crested geckos really should be looked in o every day. A leopard gecko could probably be ok for a day or so but a crested gecko needs their tank sprayed every day. There food also dries out pretty easy and needs water added to it on the second night to keep it soft enough to eat. If you get one of those expensive automatic misters you could probably get away with someone coming every second day but without one you need daily mistings from a person.

Thanks

Coming in a few times a week isn't enough. That friend has to come every day otherwise your gecko could die of dehydration. The food isn't that big of a deal but they need DAILY misting