Thread: Worried about hatchling crested gecko!

Thanks

Default Worried about hatchling crested gecko!

Hello all,
    I recently bought a juvenile crested gecko (my first crestie) from Petco on 12/05, which I know Petco is frowned upon. But, after going up there every week for a month, I grew a bit attached & brought him home! (I know its too soon to tell the gender, I just assume its a he )

After a trip to Petco recently, one of the employees told me that a couple of the other smaller cresties that were housed with the one I bought, passed away within an hour - a couple of days of me buying mine. However, this is just what the Petco employee assumes & is probably true as it makes sense, I'm just paranoid! Is this something I should be concerned about?

Also, I have yet to see a "normal" poop from my crestie. I assume these are poops as I find them everyday. It is not well formed, and is yellow in color. I find this concerning & was wondering if anyone has anyone insight? I will attach pics.

Some basic info: I've had him for about three weeks now and he seems pretty acclimated as he's out & about every night & often during the day sitting on top of his toilet paper roll watching what is going on & exploring! He's very calm when handled and loves to explore and walk on my alternating hands. I offer him watermelon/mango Pangea in a water bottle cap. He is housed in a Tupperware container that is the size of a large critter keeper, with holes for ventilation. His temps range from 70-76. I keep the humidity up to 80% every night and morning by misting the tank. I clean the tank out midday and air it out to give him a "dry" phase, with the humidity at 50%. He has also shed with me once!

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks

If he's active and eating, that's a good sign, but you might want to take a poop sample to a vet and see if they can check for parasites.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Shannah (12-23-2017)

Thanks

Yes, that is my next plan of action! I've been calling vets all over to try to find someone who's specializes in cresties!

Thanks

Going to post again because I feel like someone HAS to of had the same problem and has a possible explanation or solution? While I'm in the process of finding a vet, I'm finding that very troublesome.

Thanks

Are you asking the vets you are calling for a referral?

The parasite load can be treated, but most of the time it's with a prescription drug, in correct dosage, which can be tough for owners to figure out on their own. Keep trying to find someone, and keep an eye on your crestie to make sure he is still eating and active.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Getting a sample to a vet isn't a bad idea but I do think you'd need a larger sample than that. While an animal is settling in they can be more stressed which can affect their poop too. He might just need more time to settle in. If you get a large enough sample you could see what a vet can find though!

Thanks

Thank you for all of your input. I ended up finding a vet, who I took him to today. I got him out while waiting for the vet to enter the room, he was walking around fine on me, like he normally does. The vet took him and did the exam, after she put him down when the exam was done, she had realized/assumed that he had passed away sometime within the exam. She kept him a couple hours after to confirm his death. This was very shocking news to me, as he seemed fine just a couple minutes before. However, I think the stress from the exam was enough to push him over the edge. I was in the room when the vet did the exam, she cleaned his vent with saline because it had mineral deposits blocking it, she then checked for calcium. Nothing she did seemed out of the ordinary. So I'm definitely not blaming her! It was just such a shock to me as he was always active. I took him there to get help and he ended up passing away, so now I'm questioning if that was the right thing to do. I believe I will be getting another crested gecko, I'm just hoping I won't be scared to take another one to the vet!

Thanks

It doesn't sound like it was anything that you or the vet did; it was probably just an unfortunate coincidence of timing, that he passed away at that time. You're right, the extra stress may have just been enough to do it, but it's very possible he had a parasite overload, and there wasn't much of anything more you could have done at that point. Thank you for trying, anyway, and I hope you have better luck with your next one.
    Last edited by TAD; 12-31-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Eileen

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Shannah (12-31-2017)

Thanks

Thank you, Tad. Repticon happens to be here next weekend so I will be attending! I almost feel like it's too soon to get another one, but we shall see what happens! Thank you again for your replies & input Tad, it is much appreciated!

Thanks

I'm betting another one finds a good home next weekend.
    Eileen