Thread: New Gecko Parent with some concerns/questions

Thanks

Default New Gecko Parent with some concerns/questions

Hey there,

I just bought a Gargoyle Gecko hatchling and a starter kit terrarium from the local shop. I bought some powdered food, as well as some additional vines, leaves, etc to give the lil gal some places to hide. I also bought a little water dish and food dish.

My first concern is her not eating. I have only had her a a few days, and I understand that a new environment might be causing some stress. I haven't handled her since I got her and have been letting her get acclimated. Is it normal that shes not eating yet, and should I be concerned? How long will she be okay without food? It should be noted that I have a vine leading to her dish and i have it placed near the foliage she likes to rest on, also where she can easily access it.

My next concern is temp/humidity. I bought a little spray bottle and have been misting the terrarium daily. Humidity has been consistently between 50-60%, but my real question is temperature. I live in Minnesota, where its naturally very cold in the winter. With the heat on we keep our house at about 68 degrees, but I was reading that they prefer upper 70's, into the low 80's. So i was contemplating a small lamp with a low wattage bulb to keep on one part of the tank for some additional heat. Is this necessary? If so, do I keep the light on during the day in the leaves that she likes to rest on or do I put it on the other side of the tank that she doesn't hang out in very much?

I have attached a couple of pictures of both the gecko and the terrarium.

Thanks for the help! I want to be sure she is comfortable and being well taken care of.

Name:  Snapchat-655439016.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  20171219_150524.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  95.4 KB

Thanks

Congrats! She/he will be fine if they don't eat for a few days. Reptiles usually hate change and this kind of stresses them out. Give him/her a quiet time, don't be too involved for a few days. just offer food and water and keep the room as quiet as you can. eventually they will eat. you can also offer food off your finger while holding the gecko. Just don't do it immediately. i use a heat pad for humans if i don't have a reptile heat pad. i have put it against the back side of the enclosure instead of underneath.

Thanks

Really cute little gecko! Luna is a good name. Geckos can go without food for up to 3-4 weeks, and being so little, you might not even notice if she's eating or not. A gram scale is your best bet for tracking weight gain, and seeing that it is a cold time of year for you, she probably won't gain a lot of weight for a while.

Your tank looks fine for a little one, lots of places for her to climb. You might put a cork round or coconut cave in it somewhere on the floor for her to hide in.

I agree with not handling for a while, let her get settled in and used to her new home. I'm in Wisconsin, and our home also gets to 68 at night in winter. They're fine in temps from 65-80. Too much lower or higher and it would be in the danger zone. Low to mid 70's is perfect. I use a 60W ceramic heat emitter in a wire fixture over my 12x12x18 tank, and that seems to work well. I turn it on in the early evening when I get home from work, and leave it on overnight. I turn it off when I am not at home during the day.

Humidity - invest in a digital thermometer/hygrometer if you don't have one (Pangea sells one here for about $12). 50-60% humidity is fine for daytime, but it needs to be a lot higher (80-100%) at night. I mist lightly in the morning (& spritz their food once or twice to keep it from drying out), and spray more heavily at night. My night humidity usually gets to the upper 80's.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Really cute little gecko! Luna is a good name. Geckos can go without food for up to 3-4 weeks, and being so little, you might not even notice if she's eating or not. A gram scale is your best bet for tracking weight gain, and seeing that it is a cold time of year for you, she probably won't gain a lot of weight for a while.

Your tank looks fine for a little one, lots of places for her to climb. You might put a cork round or coconut cave in it somewhere on the floor for her to hide in.

I agree with not handling for a while, let her get settled in and used to her new home. I'm in Wisconsin, and our home also gets to 68 at night in winter. They're fine in temps from 65-80. Too much lower or higher and it would be in the danger zone. Low to mid 70's is perfect. I use a 60W ceramic heat emitter in a wire fixture over my 12x12x18 tank, and that seems to work well. I turn it on in the early evening when I get home from work, and leave it on overnight. I turn it off when I am not at home during the day.

Humidity - invest in a digital thermometer/hygrometer if you don't have one (Pangea sells one here for about $12). 50-60% humidity is fine for daytime, but it needs to be a lot higher (80-100%) at night. I mist lightly in the morning (& spritz their food once or twice to keep it from drying out), and spray more heavily at night. My night humidity usually gets to the upper 80's.
    I have a lamp coming and will check out a digital meter instead. I have been misting liberally at night and again in the morning, it doesn't seem to hold humidity over 70, so I am thinking of putting plastic wrap on half of the top to retain some moisture, or if you have other suggestions. It doesnt seem to drop below 50 during the day though, so that is good. I would prefer not to go out and buy a humidifier for my room just for the gecko, but I want her to be comfortable and healthy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenTroi View Post
    Congrats! She/he will be fine if they don't eat for a few days. Reptiles usually hate change and this kind of stresses them out. Give him/her a quiet time, don't be too involved for a few days. just offer food and water and keep the room as quiet as you can. eventually they will eat. you can also offer food off your finger while holding the gecko. Just don't do it immediately. i use a heat pad for humans if i don't have a reptile heat pad. i have put it against the back side of the enclosure instead of underneath.
    Yeah, thats what I figure. I just want the little thing to know where its at if she gets hungry. Update though, today while I was putting in fresh food, she was on the vine and I gently moved to vine towards the dish and she took a few big slurps of her food before retreating back into the leaves, so that is promising.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sleazeberg For This Useful Post:

TAD (12-24-2017)