Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my leachie underweight?

Thanks

I am considering downgrading her b/c the way she is right now, she just sits on a stick and stays there - all she does is occasionally turn (face the other way).

Thanks

THANK YOU! I ended up downgrading her tank and buying a stronger heat bulb - she cleaned her bowl within the first hour!! (and she never touched her food for all the time I had her.) THANK YOU!

Thanks

Hey everyone. I've got a leachie under my care who is "special". Due to a lot of neglect, he became very dehydrated, couldn't shed and stopped eating. He was moved into an enclosure too large, too quickly. Now? He's a good 20grams underweight for his age, if not more. Since the humidity has been raised (constantly around 70-80%, plus soaking once a week) he has shed 4 or 5 times in 4 weeks. Just finished another shed tonight (had to soak him to get it all off). He has to be hand fed, will not eat on his own. I'm struggling to force him to eat, I can MAYBE get a quarter of a teaspoon down his throat, if that. He's been moved back down into a smaller enclosure (exo-terra, 12X12X18) He's obviously VERY weak. He's getting more and more hydrated, but I'm not seeing large signs of improvement. He's being fed every other day on MRP (he's NEVER eaten crickets, tried many many many times, and wont touch fresh fruit pastes either).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadhim View Post
    Hey everyone. I've got a leachie under my care who is "special". Due to a lot of neglect, he became very dehydrated, couldn't shed and stopped eating. He was moved into an enclosure too large, too quickly. Now? He's a good 20grams underweight for his age, if not more. Since the humidity has been raised (constantly around 70-80%, plus soaking once a week) he has shed 4 or 5 times in 4 weeks. Just finished another shed tonight (had to soak him to get it all off). He has to be hand fed, will not eat on his own. I'm struggling to force him to eat, I can MAYBE get a quarter of a teaspoon down his throat, if that. He's been moved back down into a smaller enclosure (exo-terra, 12X12X18) He's obviously VERY weak. He's getting more and more hydrated, but I'm not seeing large signs of improvement. He's being fed every other day on MRP (he's NEVER eaten crickets, tried many many many times, and wont touch fresh fruit pastes either).
    70-80% humidity at all times is too high. It should completely dry out between mistings. If it doesn't you risk bacterial skin infections and (ironically) shedding issues. Unless he is VERY small (like hatchling size) he shouldn't be shedding that often either. Sometimes frequent shedding can be a sign of a problem. What are your temps? Lighting? What type of MRP are you using specifically?

What are you basing him being "underweight" on? Age alone means nothing as these animals grow at very different rates and have a HUGE range of appropriate adult sizes. A picture would help so we can see what his body condition is. When you say "hand fed" and that you can only get maybe "a quarter of a teaspoon down his throat", are you forcing his mouth open to feed him? Often in an already struggling animal hand feeding can cause more stress and do the opposite of what you want. If he's little I wouldn't expect him to eat a lot of bugs as many leachies don't...mine didn't till he was a large sub-adult.

If you can give more information I'm happy to help you further trouble shoot to find a possible solution. Do you have a GOOD and experienced REPTILE vet near you?