Thread: Basic questions regarding R. leachianus...

Default Basic questions regarding R. leachianus...

Hello everyone,

I am certainly new to the world of Rhacodactylus leachianus (but absolutely not to Rhacodactylus as a whole!) - it has been a considerable amount of time since I last kept any New Caladonian species and yet, something draws me back.

I have been looking into keeping the famous, wrinkly-stress-toy-with-eyes that is R. leachianus. I currently have a planted vivarium setup that measures 18 x 18 x 36. It is bioactive, live planted with bromeliads and birds nest ferns, including various cork rounds and flats.

I suppose my questions are the following:

Is my current setup adequate for leachianus? I do not want the "bare minimum", I would like to provide the best, not basic, care. ;)

Are leachies known for destroying live plants in vivariums?

Is this a species that prefers to be hidden (similar to their smaller, eyelashed counterparts.) or are they often content with sitting on the glass, out in the open?

Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate any insight.

Hello!
    1) 18x18x36 is known as the minimum size needed to house an adult leachie.
    2) I find that my leachie does not destroy any plants in her enclosure. It may depend on the individual.
    3) I have cork rounds and other hiding spots in my leachie's enclosure and she just avoids them - she takes the option of standing on a stick or sticking on the glass. Again, it may depend on the individual.
    Hope I was able to help.
    Last edited by jubalbus; 12-17-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo