Thread: Live plants or fake

Default Live plants or fake

I'm getting a 18x18x24 and was thinking of doing live plants but I'm also thinking of sticking to fake plants but I have done a ton of research into live terrairums and feel I could do one but I wanted to see what everyone else thought ?

the good thing about live plants is that they help keep the humidity up. So i keep my live plants in their pots.

I went with fake plants because I have a brown thumb and have yet to keep any plant I've ever had alive.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

My preference is fake. I had gargoyles for many years. If you decide to go with fake plants stay away from the chain link garland. It works great for other species, but gargoyles regularly get.their head stuck in the links. I'm not exactly sure what it is with gargoyles having this bad habit. It only poses a threat when they are juveniles of the right size to just squeeze their heads into the links.

Alright thank everyone I'm thinking it might be hard sense I live in a basement apartment but I was thinking of getting a LED light for the plants if I did live vs fake !

I prefer live, no question.
    I have been learning about tropical plants over the last few months, because I have a hard time keeping them alive. I recommend philodendron or pothos. They are easy to keep, and do well in low light. I keep them with my gargoyles, which like to climb on them. The biggest mistake to avoid is overwatering them.

i always prefer live plants, but they do require you to sink a pretty penny on a good light and decent substrate that won't suffocate their roots.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

i keep Pothos in their little pots, and it is easy at cleanup time. It is hard to kill Pothos. Lowes usually has them, and they are safe for most every reptile( if not every reptile). they don't need a lot of light, so a small LED would work, and misting daily with a bit of water added to the pot every few days or when it dries out.

be carefull though with buying from chain stores like home depot, walmart, lowes, etc. A loooot of those plants are sprayed with chemicals/insecticides and most also have fertilizer in the soil which is a no-no.

If your going to buy plants from those places, make sure you clean off the old dirt, all the roots. rinse off well, as well as the plant itself. You need to make sure you really clean it off.

Wandering Jew is also an almost immortal plant that grows SUPER fast in even dim light. I have them in all my tanks, and they even survive my gargoyle geckos fat butt LOL She's ripped them up from their planter, broke off stems, etc. and they end up falling to the floor where they then proceed to continue growing HAHHAHA
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Josh's Frogs sells reptile-safe plants, and they have lots of sales. You might try there. They have great customer service and can also advise you on what plants would work best for your tank.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0