Thread: Maybe a dumb question.

Thanks

Default Maybe a dumb question.

Iím a newb and leaning towards an Exo Terra tank; however itís either Zilla or Zoo Med which makes a ďcompactĒ top for light/heat. I like the idea of a mini halogen and ability to use another bulb type if needed. Will it fit with another brand tank?

Thanks

Halogens give off too much heat for cresties. Go for a top that can handle CFLs (the least expensive option) or LEDs.

<-- has 2 Exo Terras, one with a CFL light fixture by Exo Terra and one with LED light fixtures held up with ZooMed brackets
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

exo terra makes compact tops as well for there tanks P:

CFLS are a big no no for cresties unless you have a huge tank (or a super low watt CFL). LEDS are the way to go, always.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Last edited by amberpom; 12-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

Last edited by amberpom; 12-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

(P.S. The only "dumb question" is the one not asked. )

I found this one for my 18x18x24, and like it because it includes LEDs and a UVB bulb. It's not an Exo Terra brand, but fits my Exo Terra tank.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is nice and bright also, but doesn't have a UVB light with it. It sits loosely on the tank, but is adjustable, and is a lot more affordable than the one above:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had canopy lights made for the Exo Terras, and they fit and worked well too, but I wanted something with LEDs that used less electricity.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

I tried to post last night so I'm not sure what happened but I was under the assumption LED's did not give off heat. So what do I use for my heat source or would the LED's be sufficient?

Thanks

The heat range should be 65-80, no higher or lower. If in between, you don't need heat. If you do need a heat source, you can use a ceramic heat emitter, but use a wire fixture with it, not a dome lamp. And you would need to mist more often to counteract the drying effect of the CHE. Or if you only need a little heat at night, a higher wattage blue night bulb would give off a bit of heat.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 2.2.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Barn cats 0.2.0

Thanks

LEDs do give off heat, but they give off less heat per lumen (amount of light emitted) than CFLs.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)