Thread: What is the best cover for a warped acrylic top?

Default What is the best cover for a warped acrylic top?

What is the best way to make this sealable while not losing a lot (or any) light?

You can sort of see the issue here, the glass I have does not lay flat at all.

Another angle:

The old owner used tape and Saran Wrap which I have zero interest in doing.

Any ideas appreciated.

I wish there was a cover like silpat silicone that was completely clear.

are there any ventilation holes? If not, I would recommend using fiberglass window screening and using hot glue to keep it in place. Hard to judge just how big those holes are though.

if you're feeling more DIY savy, take a razor blade to the top. Since it's not going to be holding water (in the volume it was constructed to) you won't need the top slate of glass (glass? really? It looks like acrylic due to the subtle bends of the tank itself) Even if you WERE to use it for water down the road, you'd still nee to replace the top, since as you know, nothing would lay flat on that and you'd loose a TON of water due to evaporation.

Anywho, yeah, you could just remove the top piece of glass. Then either take dimensions and get something cut, or just go buy a large sheet of cheap plexi glass and lay it over top heh
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    are there any ventilation holes? If not, I would recommend using fiberglass window screening and using hot glue to keep it in place. Hard to judge just how big those holes are though.

if you're feeling more DIY savy, take a razor blade to the top. Since it's not going to be holding water (in the volume it was constructed to) you won't need the top slate of glass (glass? really? It looks like acrylic due to the subtle bends of the tank itself) Even if you WERE to use it for water down the road, you'd still nee to replace the top, since as you know, nothing would lay flat on that and you'd loose a TON of water due to evaporation.

Anywho, yeah, you could just remove the top piece of glass. Then either take dimensions and get something cut, or just go buy a large sheet of cheap plexi glass and lay it over top heh
    Sorry I was unclear. Top is warped acrylic, original owner used glass panes, and saran wrap to cover the holes
    As seen here: