Thread: Best way to get baby leachies to eat.

Thanks

Default Best way to get baby leachies to eat.

Hey guys,

I have one baby leachie that doesn't seem to eat on it's own. I've been tracking it's weight every week and it is staying around 10.75 grams and not really gaining any weight. It's been like this for almost 3 weeks now and I've never had a leachie feeding problem before. Her setup information is below.

Housing - 6qt tub
    Substrate - Paper towel
    Decor - Cork round and coconut husk hide
    Temp - 74 degrees
    Humidity - Misted nightly
    Food - Offering Pangea with insects in a contact case (I use those as bowls) on the ground

Anyone have any recommendations on what to try to get her to start gaining some weight and eating on her own?

Thanks

Sounds like everything you are doing is correct. We have 2 and one eats great on their own and one doesn't and we continue to hand feed on weekends. The bowl looks untouched during the week. I've heard they won't starve themselves but we can't resist feeding her/him. Good luck!

Thanks

Do you have any foliage in the tub (fake or real)? Maybe it's not feeling very secure if the bowl is totally out in the open?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

I forget what size bins they are in now. Approximately 16 wide, 12 deep and maybe 12 high. They are on paper towels. Each bin has a cork round in the center, a ceramic long on one end with some fake foliage draped over them. You will usually find them under the foliage. Out in the open on the other end is their water bowl and a pangea cup on the floor in the fake rock holder. This is the set up we have used since they were 8 and 11 grams. Of course they are in separate bins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Do you have any foliage in the tub (fake or real)? Maybe it's not feeling very secure if the bowl is totally out in the open?
    I do have a small artificial plant hanging in the tub. Since it is only a 6qt tub I had to trim most of the plant to make it fit without covering the whole tub. I've only hand fed her once in hopes of just leaving her be as she is a baby and I don't really try to handle them except for a weekly weigh in.

Thanks

Can you move a bit of foliage around or over the bowl, or move the bowl so it's under a bit of hanging foliage?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0