Thread: Leachie questions

Thanks

Default Leachie questions

So I am also finding leachies interesting.

I don't know if I will ever be able to have one, but in the event that I might...

I know it's been said that they pretty much have the same care as CG's and gargs, but what is the ideal tank size for one? I've read 18x18x24, and 18x18x18. If I got one, I would plan on feeding it CGD and dubias, mainly, maybe an occasional waxworm if they like them.

Wondering though, are their general temperaments much different than cresties or gargs (in general, I know each one is different in any species)?

Who are reputable breeders that might sell older ones? I don't think I would want a real young one. As with my TAD and Hygge, I am not concerned with morph at all, but more with temperament.

Thanks for any responses!
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Omg omg omg I sooooo hope you get one haha!!! I can only answer these questions from what I’ve heard, not from experience.

18x18x24. I would think they’d need a big tank because they get so big, but I’ve heard they like smaller cozier tanks.
    Yeah, I’d do Pangea with occasional insects, and every so often a pinky mouse.
    I’ve heard that they get a grumpy “teenage” stage (also heard this with cresties) and if they aren’t worked with, can be mean. It’s not like a crestie or garg though, where if they bite you it barely hurts, cause they’re so big they will draw blood.
    Only Leechie breeder I know of is Leapin Leachies, which idk if they’re good or not.
    I know that Sasha (can’t remember never username, eak!) has a few leachies that she wanted to breed. But they were young so it’s be a year or two.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

TAD (11-27-2017)

Thanks

We have 2 leachies raised from 8 and 11 grams. They are now in the 65 range. They came from PaloVerde reptiles here in Phoenix, AZ. Currently kept in tubs for the humidity. One of them is extremely mild and you can do anything you want. The other one can be feisty at times. Has snapped but never bitten. I believe you need to get them as babies if you want to handle them when older. We feed Pangea and they don't seem interested in bugs. Maybe when older they will develop the taste for them. We have 16 lizards and these 2 are by far our favorites. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ranshell For This Useful Post:

TAD (11-27-2017)

Thanks

I don't really want to get a real young one - I am (a young) 63 years old, and would like to keep him for his lifetime! So I have to think ahead.

I am not in a hurry, so just kind of testing the waters here. I could easily get a tub set up, and already have a lot of supplies I could use, so set-up would not be a problem.

Was also wondering what kind of pricing I could expect on a "used tame male of non-fancy morph." I know they are harder to breed than other species of gecko, and as yet are not all that common, so I know they would cost quite a bit more than cresties or gargs.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Tbh, I really think that all locales are “fancy”. You could maybe get a mixture of a few different locales, but it will still be a little pricey. The cheapest I’ve ever seen one is $300, and he was a Nuu Ana mix, from a small town breeder. I’m pretty sure they don’t go lower then about )300, unless you find a really good deal or someone doesn’t know what they’re doing haha. All I can say is just keep looking for the right price and then jump at it.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I'm thinking you might pay even more for an older one as they must be a certain age before breeding. Ours were $500 and $600 and we were glad to get them.

Thanks

Right- I think any sexed animal sells for more then an unsexed
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS