Thread: my 40 gallon garg enclosure

Default my 40 gallon garg enclosure

This is 15.5 inches high and so, it should be good enough for my juvie for now. i used to breed crested gex and have always worried about impaction. So i only use rubbermaid shelf liner on the bottom of the tank. it is clear and rubbery. Easy to clean. There are 2 live plants in the tank, and some real wood, as well as some fake items. I am excited, she arrives tomorrow morning.

Nice setup. I hope you post some pictures when he arrives.

I like the idea of the shelf liner! Just a suggestion, because you pretty much know what you're doing, but you might want to move the food ledge back behind the wood and leaves, just so your garg is a little more secluded rather than out in the open when she eats. I am excited to hear about your new arrival! What kind of wood did you end up getting? How old is your new garg?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    I like the idea of the shelf liner! Just a suggestion, because you pretty much know what you're doing, but you might want to move the food ledge back behind the wood and leaves, just so your garg is a little more secluded rather than out in the open when she eats. I am excited to hear about your new arrival! What kind of wood did you end up getting? How old is your new garg?
    Thanks. i will do that. I know she is a juvie, and was hatched in 2016. So idk exactly. I had some wood from other reptiles that i disinfected well with bleach water and let dry thoroughly. I'm not sure what type it is. I think i got it from one of the online suppliers.

Hi this is just a suggestion, in my experience gargoyles do like to climb mine spend the majority of the time up high. The tank is a good start & I do really like the live plants, but if you could manage to get a ledge or two of some plants/vines up higher I'm sure she would make use of those. Gargoyle s love to climb high if possible but I know it can be tricky finding things to fix to tanks that can also be removed for cleaning purposes. Also gargoyles & quite heavy footed creatures bit of a lump compared to dainty landing cresties plastic suction items tend to fall off. However there are some fake branches avail on Amazon that have large suction cups & they attach pretty well the other alternative in using magnets to attach items or buying items that attach with magnets there are some nice magnetic ledges available expensive but hardwearing I think pangea sell them too.
    When she settles in do please update us with more pictures of her.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Sounds good. Yes, i have the magnets on the feed dish and they are super strong, so i'll look for ledges with magnets and maybe arrange the wood to stand up high. i leave to pick her up soon. She is currently at the fedex hub, but they don't open until 9am.

The large Reptology Climber Vines from Neherp are great - I have them in both my tanks, and both geckos spend a lot of time on them. I made mine in kind of a spiral, so they can go high or low, they are wide and very sturdy - great for heavy-bodied gargs.

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way: http://www.neherpetoculture.com/decorplants - I have the 3/4" ones. Love 'em.

Also, if you get the Pangea natural-looking food ledges - buy the 3rd magnet to go on it - it holds up much better with a 3rd magnet.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0