Thread: new male crested gecko

Thanks

Default new male crested gecko

got a male 1 year old gecko-- will not come out from hiding spot-- petstore says it is normal- I am so worried-- my granddaughter has a 4 month old crested gecko but is very active- she said to be patient-- how long to wait for him to come out?? saw him eat a cricket yesterday but no movement since

Thanks

It takes 2-3 weeks sometimes before they feel comfortable and "at home". Even then, you may have a shy guy...mine rarely moves during daylight hours and does most of his moving around while I am asleep. They are nocturnal and mostly sleep during the day. Perfectly normal, you don't have to worry.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I second what TAD said. Crested geckos are nocturnal and therefore sleep all day and don't move. I have one gecko that I barely ever see because he is shy. He waits until it is dark and I'm in bed or I'm not looking at him before moving. He is a full adult male. I have a younger male gecko that is a lot more calm. Still doesn't move around much when I'm looking at him but he doesn't hide from me when I am near the cage and will even come over to the front doors of the cage when he sees me with food. He is also more ok with handling. You may just have a shy gecko and therefore might not see he very often. As long as he is eating and pooping he is fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    It takes 2-3 weeks sometimes before they feel comfortable and "at home". Even then, you may have a shy guy...mine rarely moves during daylight hours and does most of his moving around while I am asleep. They are nocturnal and mostly sleep during the day. Perfectly normal, you don't have to worry.
    thank you-will be patient

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    I second what TAD said. Crested geckos are nocturnal and therefore sleep all day and don't move. I have one gecko that I barely ever see because he is shy. He waits until it is dark and I'm in bed or I'm not looking at him before moving. He is a full adult male. I have a younger male gecko that is a lot more calm. Still doesn't move around much when I'm looking at him but he doesn't hide from me when I am near the cage and will even come over to the front doors of the cage when he sees me with food. He is also more ok with handling. You may just have a shy gecko and therefore might not see he very often. As long as he is eating and pooping he is fine.
    thank you--that helps