Thread: Salmonella threat?

Thanks

Default Salmonella threat?

I was wondering what precautions do I need to take before and after handling my crestie and what kind of salmonella threat he poses? I've done some research but felt I'd be better to hear from you guys. Thanks, Josh

Thanks

Ive never heard of anyone getting anything from a cresties. I wash my hands before handling and only after handlin if I'm about to handle other animals or about to eat.
    Last edited by Lovelyanddekstest; 05-02-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

The gal that has the internet videos about Isla said that Isla had salmonella (not sure that's what she died of though, but it was shortly before she passed). I wondered about the chance of passing it on as well.

I always wash my hands before and after handling my geckos, just to be on the safe side, for their sake and mine!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Hi there, yes it is possible for a gecko to pass this on Salmonella to humans however if you take simple precautions in relation to hygiene whilst cleaning & pre & post handling your gecko(s) you should be fine.
    While cleaning out my gecko(s) vivariums I always wear a fresh pair of disposable plastic gloves & use disinfectant (gecko safe) to clean out the vivs and other tank objects & promptly dispose of the waste afterwards. However always wash your hands again after removing the dirty gloves before either handling geckos or going about other business as gloves may not be 100% also damage can occur to the gloves & they should just be seen as another layer of skin.

I wash my hands pre & post gecko handling with simple soap & water.
    Some people use foam/gel between geckos however if using these you need to be careful that it does not contain alcohol & this is not good for your gecko & also check that it's reptile safe as many are not suitable.
    Personally I think good soap & waters best also some human bugs are not killed off by these gels/foams yet good hand washing with soap & water is equally in fact more effective (ie norovirus).

Also if you use your sink or bath for washing geckos viv items make sure you clean the sink & bath thoroughly afterwards to reduce cross contamination.

Ps best not to kiss your gecko(s)! Lol.
    Last edited by AceGargoyles; 05-01-2017 at 04:27 AM.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

gecko_noob (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Unless ur licking your gecko or its poop. Or your gecko runs thru its poop and you then proceed to not wash your hands then the chance of actually getting it is SUPER low.

Best to wash ur hands but in all honesty.... I've had geckos for over 5 years now and rarely have I washed my hands after handling them.... Lol and nothing here. I also kiss my geckos sooo
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (05-02-2017)

Thanks

I still think simple hand washing is the best & safest way forward to prevent cross contamination of microorganisms to keep you & your gecko(s) well.
    Being immunocompromised myself it has always worked pretty well for me. I would rather be safe than sorry as I would hate not to be able to have my geckos because of recurrent infections.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

oh yeah im not sayin "dun wash your hands hahahaa" lol I'm a bad example of proper reptile to human hygene but I'm using myself as an example of how small the threat actually is.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Your crested gecko is not a threat at all! Just remember to wash your hands before and after you handle him/her and no matter how much u love it you cannot kiss it. So don't worry 😉!! Now go enjoy your little gecko and all his little geckoness. ( I know that's not a word lol)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceGargoyles View Post
    Hi there, yes it is possible for a gecko to pass this on Salmonella to humans however if you take simple precautions in relation to hygiene whilst cleaning & pre & post handling your gecko(s) you should be fine.
    While cleaning out my gecko(s) vivariums I always wear a fresh pair of disposable plastic gloves & use disinfectant (gecko safe) to clean out the vivs and other tank objects & promptly dispose of the waste afterwards. However always wash your hands again after removing the dirty gloves before either handling geckos or going about other business as gloves may not be 100% also damage can occur to the gloves & they should just be seen as another layer of skin.

I wash my hands pre & post gecko handling with simple soap & water.
    Some people use foam/gel between geckos however if using these you need to be careful that it does not contain alcohol & this is not good for your gecko & also check that it's reptile safe as many are not suitable.
    Personally I think good soap & waters best also some human bugs are not killed off by these gels/foams yet good hand washing with soap & water is equally in fact more effective (ie norovirus).

Also if you use your sink or bath for washing geckos viv items make sure you clean the sink & bath thoroughly afterwards to reduce cross contamination.

Ps best not to kiss your gecko(s)! Lol.
    Hi, I was just wondering if theoreticly a gecko bit me and broke skin, could i get infected (through blood to saliva contact)? THx

Thanks

It is unusual for gecko bites to break skin but of course not impossible. Salmonella can be transferred from person to person by both direct through saliva, fecal/oral spread, kissing and also indirect contact such as using contaminated eating stuff. In addition, a number of Salmonella species can be transmitted from animals such as snakes, turtles, hamsters, cats, and dogs to humans, usually by direct contact. Really don't know anybody or heard of anybody contacting it through this route saliva -blood route. However if you were unfortunate enough to get bitten & it was a superficial skin bite with broken skin I would advise the same procedure as you would take with needle stick injury. Hand under running water & squeeze area to make bleed. Obviously thoroughly wash hands with soap & water again.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0