Thread: New crestie owner

Thanks

Default New crestie owner

My husband and I were given a female crested gecko. We have never had one before. The pet store said she needed a heat lamp and a heat pad. But from what I have read, the terrarium gets too hot with either of them on. So I haven't had either of them on. The terrarium stays between 70 and 80 when they are off. And the humidity stays around 60% to 80%. Am I doing this right? I want to make sure she stays good and heathy. Does she need a humidity box? Do I need to mist her daily? Thank you for any help and if you have anything else we should get her please let me know.

Thanks

Your temperature is perfect. The humidity should be 80-100% at night, and 50-70 during the day. Yes, mist her daily - they mainly drink the drops that you spray rather than out of a bowl, although they will use the bowl if there is no other water available. If it is a female for sure, yes, a lay box would be beneficial. What else do you have in your tank, and how big is the tank? What size is your gecko - do you have a gram scale? Are you using fake plants or live? If fake, then paper towel for substrate, a feeding ledge, lots of fake plants, a couple of vines, and a couple of hides are essential. I don't have a live vivarium, so if that's what you have, others can help you there. A lot depends on age/size. In any case, a good food - Pangea or Repashy, in a couple of different flavors, has everything they need in it for food.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I honestly don't know if its a male or female. The people who gave it to us said it was a female. And that she was about a year old. I don't have a scale. Do you have a good one you recommend? I haven't been able to mist her because hides way up in the top of a really big fake log and I'm honestly scared to touch her lol. I'm hoping I donit right to upload the pictire of her terrarium. All our plants are fake. Does she need the heat light and heat pad then?Name:  20171104_193500.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  83.4 KB

Thanks

You probably don't need the hat lamp or mat. Don't mist your gecko directly - just the environment. Most of them hate getting sprayed themselves! Your tank looks good from what I can see, but is that driftwood in it? If so, it will probably start to mold. You'd be better off with a hardwood - mopani, manzanita, or ghostwood, that is more waterproof than driftwood. I'd suggest a vine or two in there, and also another hide or two on the floor of the tank.

You can buy an inexpensive gram scale at Walmart. Put her in a Gladware container to weigh her if you are unsure about handling her as yet.
    Eileen

Thanks

It's fake wood. Not real. So no mold there lol. I keep thinking the terrarium is too small for her. Would a 10 gallon be better? We will definitely get her some vines and more hiding places. Thank you so much for the help.

Thanks

In response to heating. Temps higher then 80 can be deadly to a gecko. Around 72-78 for a typical daily high and then cooler at night (No lower then 65) is perfect for them. They are more sensitive to heat then cold. Also make sure the tank dries out during the day dropping to around 50% for awhile. This helps prevent mold/bacteria and respiratory problems in your gecko. Make sure at night the humidity gets to like 100%. Heat pads don't work anyway. If you need heat the lamp would be best but you should have it on a rheostat so that you can control how hot it gets. Or use a very low wattage bulb in the lamp. Having a heat source on full blast for something like a crested gecko is not a good idea. All heat sources should be controlled by rheostats or thermostats to prevent overheating and killing reptiles or causing fires.

Thanks

Thank you guys so much. It's a fake log, so no mold. Would she be better in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks

If she is a year old she is probably a decent size and a 10 gallon would be too small.

Thanks

What size tank should we get her then? A 20?

Thanks

An 18x18x24 would be the best size for a 15-20 (or larger) crestie.
    Eileen