Thread: Enclosures

Thanks

Default Enclosures

Recently, I've been looking to get an adult crested gecko. I've done loads of research, but I'm still a bit stuck on enclosures. Many people say 12x12x18 is ideal, but others say it's too small. Lots of care guides have both too. So my question is, what size would be comfortable for an adult crested gecko?

Thanks

I'm new to keeping cresties so the more experienced forum members will be better able to advise you but here's my take on it anyway.

My crestie is tiny at 4 grams and he's currently in a 14.5 x 8.5 x 10 tub. He has tons of foliage, stuff to climb on and two hides, and I can tell you that there isn't a single corner of his home he doesn't explore. Based on this, I feel like a 12 x 12 x 18 would be too small for an adult, but I suppose it also depends on how active the gecko is. My little guy will move into a 18 x 18 x 24 or a 18 x 18 x 36 when he's big enough.

Thanks

18x18x24 is the most ideal size. the 12x12x18s aren't very ideal. it can be done if it must be, but if you saw an adult gecko in one of them... you'll see just how uncomfortably small they can be hehe
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

I have my adult in an 18x18x24, and he's all over it at night. He has his favorite spots (2) to sleep, but I feel this size is ideal for an adult. The 12x12x18 is just too cramped for an adult.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

You want a 24" high one, ideally. Or bigger. I agree that once you see a fully grown one in there you'll see it's too cramped. But if you're starting with a baby, that's fine. Just make sure you get him a taller one when he grows. It can take them two years to grow to full size if you get a tiny baby but if you are just planning to get an adult, I'm officially the third vote on this forum for at least 24" height, bigger if you can afford/would like it. I have a 12x12x18 for now with an 18x18x36 in the garage for when he grows up.