Thread: What's the maximum % UVB that a crestie should be exposed to (I know it's unnecessary

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default What's the maximum % UVB that a crestie should be exposed to (I know it's unnecessary

I just want to try UVB because I've read some new research that suggests that cresties grow better/have better appetite with a little UV. I believe my current bulb is a 3% UV. I would also love to add a few plants to my viv just in some flower pots so they'd need light to. How do I balance the needs of the plants with the delicate skin of a gecko? Can it emit 5%? 10%? or should I stick to my puny little lightbulb. Any major downsides of adding UV that you guys know of? As of the past day I've had the little UV lightbulb on top of the cage and it provides juuuust the right amount of heat. Raises it three or 4 degrees I'd estimate. What do the experts say about max. amount of UVB for a gecko and what are the downsides, if any?

Thanks

Jessica, I will give you a place to look. Go back to a thread that started on 11/23/2016. Title is Temps/humidity. This thread runs for a few days. Get pen and paper ready, and read everything Happymaskedguy has to say. He lives in Scotland, and he could write the bible of the crested gecko! When you get this homework done you will know more than 98 percent of cg owners know about healthy lighting for c geckos. Hope this is helpful, and your gecko will thank you. Ron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to barneys dad For This Useful Post:

jessicamshannon (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Jessica, The best way to track down that amazing thread is probably search for TrinaL37. Find temp/humidity thread she started. Hope this helps. In this thread happymaskedguy goes into which lights for uvb and why you should use one. Ron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barneys dad For This Useful Post:

jessicamshannon (11-08-2017)

Thanks

Just want to add that plants don't need UVB light to grow. For example glass blocks UVB light and indoor plants grow fine.