Thread: Gecko Shopping List

Thanks

Default Gecko Shopping List

Hello again!
    I'm so sorry if there's a similar thread to this that I missed, but I just want to be absolutely sure that I haven't missed anything important.
    So far I already have a 12x16x24 enclosure for it, with a lid and screen clips to hold them together, and a potted bromeliad I'm considering putting in the enclosure.
    Here's what's on the list to buy within the next few days:

A scale
    Digital hygrometer/thermometer
    Wipe Out
    Spray bottle
    Magnetic feeding ledge
    Pangea CGD (2 oz, a couple different flavors)
    ReptiCalcium (3 oz)
    Some decorations (Driftwood, vines, a coconut husk, etc)

Let me know if I'm missing anything!

Thanks

- Some kind of cave type hide. Unless you have that covered with coconut husk.
    - Hydroballs.
    - Mesh to go between hydroballs and other substrate.

Most of my bromeliads didn't do well in my setups longer term and I think they needed more light so you could keep that in mind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExoticDreams For This Useful Post:

Rekos (11-03-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rekos View Post
    Hello again!
    I'm so sorry if there's a similar thread to this that I missed, but I just want to be absolutely sure that I haven't missed anything important.
    So far I already have a 12x16x24 enclosure for it, with a lid and screen clips to hold them together, and a potted bromeliad I'm considering putting in the enclosure.
    Here's what's on the list to buy within the next few days:

A scale
    Digital hygrometer/thermometer
    Wipe Out
    Spray bottle
    Magnetic feeding ledge
    Pangea CGD (2 oz, a couple different flavors)
    ReptiCalcium (3 oz)
    Some decorations (Driftwood, vines, a coconut husk, etc)

Let me know if I'm missing anything!

heat source if temps are not optimal? And why the wipe out?(just asking, not juging)

Thanks

Are you going live besides the bromeliad, or just that one plant? Paper towel substrate if you're getting a very young one.
    Correct lighting if you are going live.

What type of reptile are you going for? Driftwood is likely to mold in the humid environment that your crestie or gargoyle would need (if a leo, it doesn't need so much humidity). So depending on what you are getting, you might want to get a more waterproof wood, and/or cork rounds or flats.

The more plants (real or fake) the better.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Rekos (11-03-2017)

Thanks

1)Hides are very important for geckos. You can make them at home out of something like a paper towel role or get some nicer ones off amazon. There are some great ones on there. PRO TIP: Birds like hides too so look up bird hide if you want a greater variety of hides for your gecko. I got this coc0nut + bridge for $5 as opposed to the $20 coconut for geckos. Don't worry, the materials are safe. Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2)Get a reptile safe cleaner. You should use it to clean out the enclosure one a week or so. The one with the best reviews seems to be this one, since it's got an attached brush for tough scrubbing and corners here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2)you might want to get Repashy Calcium/vitamin supplement to mix in with the food once a week or so (sources vary on how often you should do this)
    3)Don't forget to buy the little cups for the feeding ledge because I definitely forgot to.
    4)Mister-works much better than a spray bottle. You probably know this already but I didn't see it on your list. Mist twice a day
    5) Optional- some new research is showing that they grow faster and have a better appetite with a little bit of UV light in the day. I got this $25 lamp with 75w bulb included here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jessicamshannon For This Useful Post:

Rekos (11-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticDreams View Post
    - Some kind of cave type hide. Unless you have that covered with coconut husk.
    - Hydroballs.
    - Mesh to go between hydroballs and other substrate.

Most of my bromeliads didn't do well in my setups longer term and I think they needed more light so you could keep that in mind.
    I think the coconut husk will cover that, but I may get another hide if it doesn't seem like enough. Also good to know on the bromeliad, I was a little concerned on the lighting for it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Are you going live besides the bromeliad, or just that one plant? Paper towel substrate if you're getting a very young one.
    Correct lighting if you are going live.

What type of reptile are you going for? Driftwood is likely to mold in the humid environment that your crestie or gargoyle would need (if a leo, it doesn't need so much humidity). So depending on what you are getting, you might want to get a more waterproof wood, and/or cork rounds or flats.

The more plants (real or fake) the better.
    I'm only going to have the live bromeliad (potted), and then add some fake hanging plants and vines and such. For substrate, I was thinking paper towels at first, and then probably reptibark once I'm sure my gecko is settled in and eating. Also, sorry for not specifying here, I'm planning to get an adult crestie, probably around a year or so. Do you have any suggestions for more waterproof woods? I thought since it commonly goes in aquariums driftwood would be fine, but I definitely don't want something that's going to mold. Thanks for your help!

Thanks

Mopani, ghostwood, or manzanita woods are all good for humid environments. Cork works fine too, tubes or flats.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Just want to say there is no need to add any supplements to the gecko food if you are feeding repashy or pangea. These are complete diets meaning they have all the needed nutrients in them already and adding more vitamins to these could cause imbalances or overdoses. If you feed live insects those should be dusted with supplements before feeding but repashy/pangea don't need any.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

Rekos (11-04-2017),TAD (11-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessicamshannon View Post
    1)Hides are very important for geckos. You can make them at home out of something like a paper towel role or get some nicer ones off amazon. There are some great ones on there. PRO TIP: Birds like hides too so look up bird hide if you want a greater variety of hides for your gecko. I got this coc0nut + bridge for $5 as opposed to the $20 coconut for geckos. Don't worry, the materials are safe. Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2)Get a reptile safe cleaner. You should use it to clean out the enclosure one a week or so. The one with the best reviews seems to be this one, since it's got an attached brush for tough scrubbing and corners here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2)you might want to get Repashy Calcium/vitamin supplement to mix in with the food once a week or so (sources vary on how often you should do this)
    3)Don't forget to buy the little cups for the feeding ledge because I definitely forgot to.
    4)Mister-works much better than a spray bottle. You probably know this already but I didn't see it on your list. Mist twice a day
    5) Optional- some new research is showing that they grow faster and have a better appetite with a little bit of UV light in the day. I got this $25 lamp with 75w bulb included here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I should probably get a few more hides! I might just go with paper towel rolls at first, and upgrade over time to something that looks a little nicer, maybe after he's off the paper towels.
    For the cleaner, that's what the Wipe Out was for, but I might go with that instead. I do have a spray bottle on the list, but the one I'm looking at is actually a mister. I'm also considering a drip system, for times when I might be away for a night or something. Thank you for all the suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Mopani, ghostwood, or manzanita woods are all good for humid environments. Cork works fine too, tubes or flats.
    Thank you! I'll shop around for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    Just want to say there is no need to add any supplements to the gecko food if you are feeding repashy or pangea. These are complete diets meaning they have all the needed nutrients in them already and adding more vitamins to these could cause imbalances or overdoses. If you feed live insects those should be dusted with supplements before feeding but repashy/pangea don't need any.
    Thank you for the clarification! I plan to have the calcium around just in case of an imbalance, and for when I feed live insects.