Thread: Help making my new gecko feel at home

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Help making my new gecko feel at home

Meet Littlefoot. I just got my new little friend yesterday. I, as many others, want to make sure that he/she is going to adjust well to his new home and has everything he needs. He is 15 weeks old and weighs 5g. The terrarium stays between 70 and 80 degrees and between 50% and 80% humidity. I have a couple of dishes of standing water to mostly help with humidity and for him to drink if he wants. Name:  0A160C2F-32AF-4DBE-BE0C-41046682783D.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  20.5 KBName:  980222C9-A906-42EC-AFFA-54BCF72F81E7.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  20.0 KBSo far I only have one food dish because he lays in the plant right next to it and I know he has been on it a couple of times. He has not eaten yet but I know that is from stress and he doesnít move around a whole lot other than to change sleeping positions. Is there any tips on other ways I can make him feel more at home and is there any things I need to watch for.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slaraej For This Useful Post:

TAD (11-05-2017)

Thanks

Wow. Your enclosure is really beautiful. Is it a bio?

Thanks

Thank you! It is not bio. I got some different plants and hides from petsmart and Walmart that are safe for reptiles. He seems to really like the hanging vines right now but I hope he will discover the log hide soon.

Thanks

Sounds pretty good to me. I will just say that you likely won't see your gecko move much. They are a nocturnal species meaning they sleep all day and are awake at night. They also may not like moving when you stare at them since they would instinctually freeze when a predator is near. Some people can't even tell if their gecko even moves since they often return to the same sleeping spot every morning. If there wasn't signs of eating from the bowl and a fresh poop you would think they don't move at all! I do hear mine jumping onto things during the night though even though they don't move much when I'm watching.

Thanks

I have recently caught him moving around his plant that he finds the safest but he is still not interested in food. I hope he eats soon. I didnít think it would really be so hard to tell if he is moving around but he goes to the exact same spot and position to sleep every day.

Thanks

His home is beautiful! I'm not sure how often you switch out his food, but I leave mine in for 2 nights. Some geckos prefer second day food rather than fresh. Of course always monitor for mold!

Thanks

What's that gorgeous purple plant in there? I'd love to get one for my own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessicamshannon View Post
    What's that gorgeous purple plant in there? I'd love to get one for my own.
    I got it in the aquarium section at petsmart! I believe it is the medium size. They had a pink one too.

Thanks

The purple plant looks like a plant for fish aquariums actually. I have that exact plant in my betta tank. They come in a few sizes and I got mine at petsmart.