Thread: Handling - How much is too much?

Thanks

Default Handling - How much is too much?

I am new to crested geckos and just want to be sure I'm doing this right. Yesterday I got a crested gecko from a local breeder who seems to really care about and put in time with their geckos. I got a two month old crestie who was climbing all over me from the start - and other than the car ride, has never shown any signs of fear or hiding whatsoever. I ended up holding him/her for a couple hours last night because the little guy never breathed heavy or tried to hide.

She ran around all over me, drank water and ate crested gecko diet off my fingers. She seems thrilled to sit on my pants leg while I'm gaming and when I was watching netflix she hopped up on my neck and relaxed with me. I'm reading that a lot of people don't seem to hold theirs that often and I'm wondering if what I'm doing is safe for her. She has proper humidity in her tank (and I live in Florida, so she gets a certain degree of humidity out of the enclosure, too!) but if I need to give her more space I will. I'm just thrilled she's already so relaxed with me - I had a leopard gecko years ago that preferred to not be handled at all.

Thanks

I don't have enough experience to tell you one way or the other but I am SO Jealous.

Thanks

Sounds like a happy gecko to me I handle mine a couple of times a week. As long as you monitor its breathing and don't have any other animals around or noises that are loud enough to scare them, it should be fine.
    The only time i avoid handling is right before and during their shed, they like there privacy so they can eat their dead skin. It's also when they feel the most vulnerable because they cant grip to things as well

Thanks

Aw, thanks! I still can't believe I have her. She's sitting on my chest as I'm typing this, but she's only been out about ten minutes tonight. Maybe it's because I got her from a breeder and my previous gecko was already an adult at a pet store, but I just can't believe how tame she is! I'm trying to limit her time out of her enclosure for a little while just in case, but she seems so happy to climb all over my hands and body! I'm in love :P