Thread: Scared Crestie

Thanks

Default Scared Crestie

Hello, I got my Crested Gecko several days ago, and he is seeming exceptionally scared. I have tried to hold him, but whenever I slowly place my hand under his chin he scurries away. He has been eating decently, the first night we got him he ate all of his food up but the next time we fed him, he didnít eat much at all. I always try to hold him in the night or early in the morning when he is more active. I have fingerfed him about four times, and after finger feeding him he seemed a bit more comfortable. He was okay when I accidentally touched his nose and bit and he was fine when I stroked his head. Any advice on how I can get him to not be as scared of me so I can hold him? Thank you

Thanks

If he's a juvenile, he will be quite squirmy and nervous. I recommend handling him very briefly every day by sliding your hand under him and holding him in a little cave of your hand. If you're in a place where he won't end up running into some tiny space that you can't get him out of, you could also let him jump from hand to hand.

Aliza

Thanks

You should wait a few weeks before handling. They need time to get used to their new home, moving is very stressful to a gecko. Young geckos are also often very jumpy. They tend to get calmer as they grow older.

Thanks

Wait at least two weeks before handling. Then start by just putting your hand near him for a few days, then touching for a few days, then briefly holding him while in the tank...baby steps, etc.

He's been "dropped on another planet" and will probably be very scared until he figures out he doesn't have to be afraid, and that the tank is safe and home for him.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

thank you for responding! he is 4 years old, so not as skittish as a baby would be, but still nervous when i come near him. iím going to wait a little bit longer now before trying to handle him.

Thanks

Even adults can be jumpy and moving to a new place is stressful regardless of age. I have an adult crestie and a younger one (not hatchling but not adult either). My adult is more shy and not a fan of handling. My younger one is much more relaxed. It can all come down to the gecko, some may never be a fan of handling no matter what you do. So go slow after letting your gecko get used to it's new home for a few weels like TAD suggested.