Thread: Pine cones

Thanks

Default Pine cones

Hello everyone! I have googled many different things to try and find the answer to this question.. Can I use sterilized pine cones in my crested geckos enclosure? I have methods of sterilizing and all ,as in boiling and oven baking. Obviously pine bedding can be dangerous for all reptiles for numerous reasons. But I feel like pine cones would make a perfect addition to the look of the enclosure and hopefully my crestie could use it if it wants to (help it shed or to just chill on in general ) . I know there are many variations /species of pine cones, any information would be helpful!

Thanks

I'd worry about any sap in it. If totally dry and older, maybe, so the sap is dry or gone...
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

ohwonder (10-31-2017)

Thanks

I think it's fine as long as there's no leaking sap for them to stick to. 1. New Caledonia and the surrounding islands are full of conifers, mostly in the genus Araucaria. In fact, l'Īle des Pins is named after the "pines" on it. 2. I've kept local pine cones in several of my cresties's cages and there have been no issues at all over several years.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

awesome, thank you. I did read about the native trees in New Caledonia which spawned my question about pine cones lol. I will be sure to clean off all the sap and have the cones extra clean.If you don't mind me asking, have you noticed them using the cones ever?

Thanks

They're not particularly interested in the cones. They walk on them. They prefer to be up high in the tank or under things, and the pine cones are just there as obstacles on the ground.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Surprised this hasn't been said but PINE IS POISONOUS TO GECKOS according to http://animals.mom.me/dangerous-wood...iles-5604.html and other sites I've seen. So I'd skip it if I were you. It's the oil in the wood. It's have to be many years old in order to be safe. It's not just in the sap. It's in the wood itself.