Thread: Thin toes

Thanks

Default Thin toes

We were recently gifted a cute little Crestie (we think about a month old) and have had it for about three weeks. We are new to having geckos as pets so at first we didn't notice or know that our crestie was having trouble climbing or that it's toes didn't look normal. We did however notice early that it's toes were sticking together so we put it in a "sauna" and when that didn't unstick them we did a little light q-tipping which did the trick. Since then it's toes get stuck every day and we sauna semi regularly but it's toes have always been thin. They are almost shaped like human fingers rather then flat little diamonds. Has anyone ever had a crested gecko like this? Do you know if it can be fixed? I kinda suspect that the original owner didn't take care of its toes after a poor shed and now it grew to have its toes deformed? Any ideas? I am worried our little crestie won't have a fulfilled life because of its toes .

Thanks

A picture would be helpful. It's hard to tell if something is weird without a pic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    A picture would be helpful. It's hard to tell if something is weird without a pic.
    I am not sure if the is good enough but it's the best I have as of now. Thanks in advance.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  82.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  82.7 KB

Thanks

Looks like his legs are covered in old shed. If you get that off it may fix the problem. Try a sauna and gently rolling it off after the sauna with a Q-tip.

Thanks

Sorry I should have addressed that. yes he currently is shedding but he has been through a couple sheds and his toes are the same right after.

Thanks

Yes right now he is shedding but he has shedding a couple times and his toes are still like this.... Even in the cases where we have had to help him with a q tip.

Thanks

Another thing to try would be to get one of the shed aid liquids you can buy. Use a Q-tip to rub some of that onto the old shed on his legs and toes and it should really help get it off. I had a gecko with bad shed like this and it really helped were just saunas alone didn't. To help with this issue in future you can tell that there is old shed completely covering all 4 legs/feet and what looks like part of the tail. The color in those areas is dull and milky looking compared to the normal bright color and you can see how the old skin has curled over itself at the start of the legs where the rest of the old skin was actually removed.