Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A little help for my friend

Thanks

Eco-earth is good if they are over 15-20 grams. Anything smaller, I would use paper towel to reduce the risk of impaction.

Yes, he might have gotten spoiled being finger-fed. Keep trying the two feeding stations and see if you can get him to eat that way.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Eco-earth is good if they are over 15-20 grams. Anything smaller, I would use paper towel to reduce the risk of impaction.

Yes, he might have gotten spoiled being finger-fed. Keep trying the two feeding stations and see if you can get him to eat that way.
    How can I tell it is about to shed and how long does that last? Humidity 55/60% day and 80/85% at night. It does not stick to glass anymore (will clean glass see if that the issue) Still not eating at the moment (no signs of it if so) got it for about 3 weeks.

Thanks

Signs of shedding are if the skin seems more baggy and almost a whitish dull sort of color. It kind of comes with experience since crested geckos change color (fire up or down). When they are fired down their color is usually much more dull then when fired up and when you don't know your gecko well enough it can seem like shedding. You likely will not see your gecko shed but may see a few bits of leftover skin in the tank and your gecko will seem brighter colored and shinnier for a few days afterward (reptiles always look their brightest after a shed). Some geckos don't eat around shedding time since they are preparing to eat their shed and then aren't hungry for a bit after eating it.

Another reason for not sticking to glass can be if they have stuck food (or fine substrate like eco earth) stuck on their feet. You can give your gecko a sauna if you suspect that.

Make sure your feeding ledges have plants or places to hide nearby. Putting the food out in the open in the tank can make your gecko feel too nervous to go near. It makes it harder for you to see if the food is gone and to get the dishes out to replace food but having them sorta hidden can make your gecko feel safe while eating. I've had to move dishes around to find a place they like to eat at.
    Last edited by Orchidilia; 11-07-2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    Signs of shedding are if the skin seems more baggy and almost a whitish dull sort of color. It kind of comes with experience since crested geckos change color (fire up or down). When they are fired down their color is usually much more dull then when fired up and when you don't know your gecko well enough it can seem like shedding. You likely will not see your gecko shed but may see a few bits of leftover skin in the tank and your gecko will seem brighter colored and shinnier for a few days afterward (reptiles always look their brightest after a shed). Some geckos don't eat around shedding time since they are preparing to eat their shed and then aren't hungry for a bit after eating it.

Another reason for not sticking to glass can be if they have stuck food (or fine substrate like eco earth) stuck on their feet. You can give your gecko a sauna if you suspect that.

Make sure your feeding ledges have plants or places to hide nearby. Putting the food out in the open in the tank can make your gecko feel too nervous to go near. It makes it harder for you to see if the food is gone and to get the dishes out to replace food but having them sorta hidden can make your gecko feel safe while eating. I've had to move dishes around to find a place they like to eat at.
    Will give him a sauna and see the result. Funny thing, he licked the paper towel even if I mist the tank and have a little pool with water refresh daily.

Will move food location to have it more secluded. But yesterday, I put it back in tank if front of his bowl of food(the one on ground) AND HE jump on it and took a few (4-5) bites into it. So I guess he start to feel more secure at home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smeagol For This Useful Post:

TAD (11-09-2017)

Thanks

If he ate from that bowl leave it in the same place. Move ones that he/she doesn't seem to be using to other places.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    If he ate from that bowl leave it in the same place. Move ones that he/she doesn't seem to be using to other places.
    Ok, a little update. His weight is 33g. Added a hide on the ground, a background to help hides with the leaves, so playing hide and seek with the kid to find the gecko. Not seeing much biting mark in food, but eat at least twice after I put him in tank in front of the bowl, Trying to put a bit of leaves/cover over bowl. A little question for the food, texture of it. Should it be like a dow, like cookie prep, where I put down a spoon of the preparation and it would keep the shape of the ball i put in, or should it be closer to a soup?

It shed 3 days ago, founded skin stuck on leaves and some on the ground (I would say about 50% of his skin). I would guess his appetite will go up a bit. But still jumpy at his time, and walk on kid arms and neck, and jump on chest here and there. And poop on me lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smeagol For This Useful Post:

TAD (11-19-2017)

Thanks

Food should be about the consistency of ketchup, or thick soup.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Mine like their food best when it's the texture of yogurt.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)