Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help for my friend

Thanks

Default A little help for my friend

Hi, I am the happy owner of a crested gecko, 2 years old had been told. Not sure how "healty" it is and if my setup is good for it.

Setup. I have a 12x12x18 exo-terra. 2 set of leaves handing down, a branch on a base and substrat is 1/2 brick of eco earth coco fibre covert by some repti bark. My humidity is 100% halfway to the top, about 90% 6 hours after I spay the leaves so it can drink. There is a little exo-terra bowl with water in the bottom. It eats some repachy (about 1/2 a tea spoon from finger/spoon) the rest is in a cup in the enclosure. Temps is about 71o F in the day and 69o F in the night. No UVB or light on top and no heating pad, I found a bit cold, wonder if I put a heat pad on the bottom, on a timer, so not on all the time to raise a bit the temperature to 74 76o F would be better. Or a regular lamp on top would do the trick to raise it. For the size of the enclosure, I have a fish tank That I use when I had my ball python, 12x36x18, not higher but larger, Would that be better if I get a second one? or a 18x18x24 would be better for 2?

Health : It is jumpy and active, a bit less since a few day, but not by much. First 2-3 day (night) we could hear him jump around, not hearing that much now but we see him walking all around so active. But I find him a bit skinny, it have some skin like a old lady (no punt intended) don't know if this is normal. It have a floppy tail syndrom, but still using it. Here some picture so you can meet it. The lady that sold it to me, said it was about to shred his skin(change his skin) but not sure it is happening. Any input would be appreciated.

https://ibb.co/byV3t6
    https://ibb.co/cgYOt6
    https://ibb.co/gTDv6R

thanks for your help and sorry for my english, not my first language.

Thanks

Your gecko is a male and he's not overly skinny, especially for a 2-year-old. To me it looks like he is about to shed, which explains the slightly pale and baggy-looking skin. If he suddenly becomes darker and stickier in the next few days, you will know that he has shed.

Your temperatures sound fine.

You could turn your old tank on its side so that it is taller than it is wide and add hinges and a latch to make sure the screen stays attached in that orientation. A tank that size would be great for your gecko -- 12 x 12 x 18 is a little small for an adult crested. If you get a second gecko, you will have to keep it in a second cage because your male would try to breed with a female all the time and stress her out or, if you got another male, they'd fight. Crested geckos are not social and do not need "friends" to be happy. They prefer to be alone.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Treebiscuit For This Useful Post:

smeagol (10-31-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treebiscuit View Post
    Your gecko is a male and he's not overly skinny, especially for a 2-year-old. To me it looks like he is about to shed, which explains the slightly pale and baggy-looking skin. If he suddenly becomes darker and stickier in the next few days, you will know that he has shed.

Your temperatures sound fine.

You could turn your old tank on its side so that it is taller than it is wide and add hinges and a latch to make sure the screen stays attached in that orientation. A tank that size would be great for your gecko -- 12 x 12 x 18 is a little small for an adult crested. If you get a second gecko, you will have to keep it in a second cage because your male would try to breed with a female all the time and stress her out or, if you got another male, they'd fight. Crested geckos are not social and do not need "friends" to be happy. They prefer to be alone.
    I will try to get a 18x18x24, will be more the right size. Yep, I know male are not for those who will want 2... if a get a second, will go for juvenile and will keep in the smaller tank. I think 36 might be a bit tall for him.... in the case it fall.... wondering it might hurt himself...

Thanks

Your new buddy is very cute! But - as stated, don't house two together, especially with a male. An 18x18x24 would be a perfect size for ONE gecko, or your fish tank turned upright (taller) would work just fine if you can make the adjustments to it.

A ceramic heat emitter over the top would probably be a better source of warmth than a heat mat. Those (heat mats) usually don't add much heat. If you do use a ceramic heat emitter, use a wire holder with ceramic base to minimize fire hazard.

I would also suggest not feeding him off a spoon or finger - they can get very dependent on that, and then won't eat out of their bowl. Best to just use the bowl. He looks to be a health size and weight.

Add a couple of things he can hide in, and maybe a vine or two. We use cork bark or sea shells, or coconut hides. All work well in humid environments.

Congrats on your new friend!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Your new buddy is very cute! But - as stated, don't house two together, especially with a male. An 18x18x24 would be a perfect size for ONE gecko, or your fish tank turned upright (taller) would work just fine if you can make the adjustments to it.

A ceramic heat emitter over the top would probably be a better source of warmth than a heat mat. Those (heat mats) usually don't add much heat. If you do use a ceramic heat emitter, use a wire holder with ceramic base to minimize fire hazard.

I would also suggest not feeding him off a spoon or finger - they can get very dependent on that, and then won't eat out of their bowl. Best to just use the bowl. He looks to be a health size and weight.

Add a couple of things he can hide in, and maybe a vine or two. We use cork bark or sea shells, or coconut hides. All work well in humid environments.

Congrats on your new friend!
    Ok, ceramic heater it is like a bulb you screw in a looking down lamp? I have still the light from my ballpython, don't remember the watts tho . So you consider to be a bit cold for it?

I did not know about the spoon, it have a bowl but not sure if it eat in it or just step in it.... guess just the bowl and he should eventually go in it...

It already have two hanging plants (fake) and a branch and a piece of false bark , may add more, like a vine in a bigger housing. My other tank, might be too tall, and would not add much lateral space for it. They don't need as much as a leopard gecko tho.

Thanks for advice all, keep them coming.

Thanks

These are ceramic heat emitters. They don't give off any light:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...c+heat+emitter

Your temps are fine right now, but if they get much colder, then I'd use a CHE. 65 degrees is about as low as you want to go, and that's a little on the cool side.

Geckos generally prefer height to lateral space, so anything 24" or higher is great.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

For what it's worth, my females are in a tank that's 36" high. It's full of sticks and live plants and paper towel tubes that they sleep in. I've seen them fall off the glass or miss jumps, and they *never* hit the ground -- they all always grab something on the way down. Even the klutziest ones are like ninjas this way! So, basically, if you fill your former terrarium with lots of things to climb and grab, your gecko will happily climb around and also have safety within easy reach if he falls.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

thanks treebiscuit for the info, add another option, but to add ceramic heat bulb, I would need to remove the '"top" and put a metal mesh or something to put the ceramic heat bulb right? I still have a fixture like this one, http://www.lllreptile.com/products/1...-light-55-inch but mine have a shorter arm, and a phosphorescent coating inside for the night (making a moon glo) would not have the glo here lol. ceramic base for the bulb, would that work for the ceramic heat bulb? and what strenght for the bulb I would need? same for the 24 and 36 high tank? sorry for the nooby question.

Thanks

And I don'T need uvb to the setup, unless I would go with a live setting right?

Thanks

Sorry, another question, it eat repashy, don't want cricket, Is that a problem, and do I need to give it vitamins d3, I got some multi vitamins, should I put some in is repashy here and there (like 1x week, small pinch).