Thread: Skinny Crestie

Thanks

Default Skinny Crestie

I'm having a hard time getting my crested to gain weight. I've ordered a scale that should arrive within a day or two, but I suspect he will be underweight. He just does not seem that interested in food. I got a magnetic feeding ledge, and that has helped somewhat as in he seems to have stopped losing weight, but he still looks so thin. It was recommended to me that I add 2-3 dusted wax worms a week since they are fatty and to try the watermelon Pangea food. I have the waxworms and the Pangea will be here soon. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. I've very new to this and still don't know if I'm doing it correctly.

Current Diet:
    Repashy every other day
    3-4 dusted crickets 2X a week
    strawberry and banana baby food 1-2x a week

I was thinking that when the new food comes in I should maybe try:
    Pangea: every day
    Wax worms: 2-3 dusted 1x a week
    crickets: 3-4 dusted 1x a week
    strawberry and banana baby food 1-2x a week max as a treat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

In my opinion under no circumstances should baby food of any type be used as a treat or snack. I say that because there are multiple types of feeder insects and fruits that can be used as treats. It seems like everything else in you feeding plan is good. I keep all of my geckos with paper towels instead of substrate to monitor the frequency of poops and watch to see if anything appears odd (runny, not fully digested, urates any color other than pure white). If any is off about the poop I take a stool sample for a fecal smear at the vet.
    What size is his enclosure?
    Misting schedule?
    Temperature of enclosure?

Thanks

Thank you! I just weighed him, and he was 24.4 grams. If the chart I came across is to be believed, that means he's light for being around a year, so I need to get some weight on him. I just don't know how to get more food in him.

He doesn't like fruit and refuses to eat insects when he is out. I tried to give him fruit and he would just spit it out then refuse to touch it again which is why I've been giving him an organic, no sugar added baby food when I take him out. He only gets what he can lick off a chopstick in a few minutes. His poop looks pretty good as far as I can tell. He goes regularly and only in a few places, so it's easy to keep track of. His tank is currently an 18x18x18 exo terra, which I think is about 20 gallons, until I can save enough to get him something bigger. I was told it would be okay but not ideal. To compensate for the lack of height, I have placed a lot of things at various heights so he feels he can get up higher. He gets crickets in a 10 gallon tank lined with paper towels so he won't eat substrate. Misting 2X a day, lightly in the morning and heavily at night. Temps are usually 72, but they sometimes range from 68-75 because of the house. I have a ceramic heat emitter on the way to help stabilize that a bit more.

Thanks

There is no set growth rate for crested geckos. They all grow at their own rate. Some grow super fast and others grow slow. As long as they are gaining weight, eating and pooping they are fine. Also geckos don't need fruit. I never feed mine any. Their gecko diet contains all the fruit they need. They should have access to repashy/pangea 24/7. Giving fruit
    often can mess up their vitamins/minerals. The gecko diets are nutrient balanced and feeding dusted and gut loaded feeder insects are also balanced (due to the nutrients you dust them with).

Edited to add that your gecko is missing a tail. That tail probably would have weighed a few grams so he is probably just fine with whatever growth sheet you found anyway.