Thread: Winter heating question?

Thanks

Default Winter heating question?

Hi, I couldn't really find a sufficient answer anywhere else so I figured I'd ask around.
    I know that crested geckos don't really need any heating but considering that inside my house (not outdoor temps) it drops into the low 50s, I'm going to need something for winter. However Im planning on using a 20H standing on its side so the top is glass. I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be safe to use a ceramic heater directly on the glass, so would a lamp stand work? If not, would it be okay to place a low wattage heat pad on the back without a background or even under the tank so that its not such an eyesore? Or should I just stick with placing it on the side? Thanks ahead of time!

(Note: I don't have the gecko yet so this isn't too much of an urgent issue)

Thanks

We let nighttime temps in our house drop to 58 in the winter so I understand your concern. Iíve tried different wattages of ceramic heat emitters (CHEs) and this is what Iíve seen so far in a wire bulb holder:

25w: barely gets warm
    40w: 1-2deg warmer
    60w: 3-4deg warmer

These numbers are using our house thermostat and a digital thermometer in the 18x18x24 enclosure. The thermometer probe is placed about halfway between top and bottom. The 12x12x18 gets about one degree warmer.

I just ordered a 100w for the bigger enclosure but havenít tried it yet.

Heat mats generally arenít recommended because they donít heat the air, just the glass. Any heating element should be connected to a rheostat that will shut it off when it gets warm enough.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

I use a 50w that is a bit nearer the top of the tank and my tank went from 62 degrees to 78

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christylauren View Post
    I use a 50w that is a bit nearer the top of the tank and my tank went from 62 degrees to 78
    Do you have a dome lamp? I think those concentrate the heat a lot more, but I was worried about the bulb overheating/fire hazards so went with the wire cage style.

Thanks

Need help with this as well. I am about to become a first-time owner and I want to have heating and lighting figured out by the time I get mine. Just wanted to post since I am also worried about this, just to say I'd appreciate an answer