Thread: Keeping dubias

Thanks

Default Keeping dubias

I just ordered and got one of these to keep my dubias in - it's GREAT for a small quantity! I am only ordering about 25 roaches at a time, and I'm really happy with this keeper. Thought I'd share; it's pretty inexpensive and really sturdy!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TJ1JX6...=2CNKXWWKCDQR8
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Is it easy or difficult, keeping dubias? I might actually give it a look, they seem like they're a good food for cresteds.

Thanks

I've just started, and I don't intend on breeding a colony, so I can't really give a good answer yet, but so far the ones I have are doing fine. I have a couple of cut-up egg carton pieces, and put in a small bottle cap with pieces of fruit or veggies, or a piece of bread; I guess they eat pretty much anything, but I want to keep them healthy for my geckos. I keep them in this container (& like that they can't climb up the sides), mist slightly once a day or so, and put it in a dark corner. So far so good.
    Eileen

Thanks

Dubias as any roaches are hardy ones so they don't die easily. I give them water,fruit and carrot but you can even feed them pange cgd if you feed your gecko later that day.I bought this famous bug gel that has different flavors.The good thing in them is that you can leave it there for a week and it won't mold or anything.At the end of the week they will eat it all and even a gecko can have it as treat.Its cheap and one piece is enough for 20 roach for days.

Thanks

OK, so I've just started feeding roaches to my geckos about a month ago. I've been putting 4 of them in a shallow jar lid for each gecko, and dusting them with ReptiCal + D3 before putting them in the lid. Hygge ate all four the first night, and since then, hasn't touched any. TAD has never eaten any of them. And it seems once I dust the roaches, they hardly move, so maybe that's part of the problem. And then they die.

So, do they have to be dusted? I'm thinking if they moved more, maybe the geckos would go after them a little more. But everything says they should be dusted.
    Eileen

Thanks

I'm thinking you could actually use a q tip to pad dust on the body of the roaches, without touching the eyes. I don't think you have to dust every single one, but the majority from what I've seen.