Thread: Mould?

Thanks

Default Mould?

I just discovered this very weird black and red stuff in my gecko's tank. I clean the entire tank and everything in it once a week, and I check him several times throughout the day when I mist (it's really dry in here - lovely Canadian weather...). The brown stuff looks like he upset his food (Repashy's), and then maybe mould grew over it over the past few hours. But what's the RED stuff? I weighed him to make sure that he hadn't thrown up or something, and his weight was good. I checked him for cuts (maybe he bled?) but he's fine, he's currently hunting water droplets like he does every night, and he's only 2 grams - he couldn't bleed that much and survive anyways. I haven't added anything new to the tank; it's been the same set-up for the past few months. Temps are 22 - 23 Celsius, humidity 90% at night and I let it drop to 50% during the day. I did see an almost microscopic beetle running around which I've never seen before, and I have no idea how it got in there... Like I said, I haven't added anything.
    If anyone's ever seen anything like this before, I'd appreciate some advice! I'm really worried. This mess was also in the very center of the tank where his food and calcium dishes sit. I checked the rest of the tank and objects in it and there wasn't anything wrong with them. :/
    First image is of the top of the paper towel, and the bottom image is when I flipped it over. I doubt if it could even be caused by him running through his food; he's tiny and I only give him a little bit, and I hadn't noticed any marks in it like he'd been in there. I've never heard of a red mould before but... I don't know what else it could be.
    Name:  IMG_6567.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6568.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  75.6 KB

Thanks

Wow, that is weird. My first thought on the red spots were blood too, and if it's damp paper towel, even a small spot of blood would spread out and look a lot bigger than it really is.

I guess I'd clean out the entire tank again, get rid of any wood that would mold (grapevine molds pretty easy, you didn't say what all you have in your tank), or bake it to kill any mold that might be on it. Use some F10 disinfectant for future use, and keep a really close eye on the gecko for the next couple of days to see if you notice anything that might be a sign of injury.

One other thought - were you feeding a watermelon flavored food, that might have showed up pink?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

There are two pieces of driftwood, one mopani and one unknown piece - the unknown one was given to me years ago. It's not grapevine or mopani, that's all I know. Neither are mouldy but I'm keeping a close watch on them.

I only feed him Repashy's Superfood which is brown, like some of the spots on the paper towel.

I didn't think about blood spreading if the paper towel was wet... I was able to check his underside today though and there aren't any injuries at all, he's fine. It's just so strange...

Thanks

Default Mold does grow in red

Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    I just discovered this very weird black and red stuff in my gecko's tank. I clean the entire tank and everything in it once a week, and I check him several times throughout the day when I mist (it's really dry in here - lovely Canadian weather...). The brown stuff looks like he upset his food (Repashy's), and then maybe mould grew over it over the past few hours. But what's the RED stuff? I weighed him to make sure that he hadn't thrown up or something, and his weight was good. I checked him for cuts (maybe he bled?) but he's fine, he's currently hunting water droplets like he does every night, and he's only 2 grams - he couldn't bleed that much and survive anyways. I haven't added anything new to the tank; it's been the same set-up for the past few months. Temps are 22 - 23 Celsius, humidity 90% at night and I let it drop to 50% during the day. I did see an almost microscopic beetle running around which I've never seen before, and I have no idea how it got in there... Like I said, I haven't added anything.
    If anyone's ever seen anything like this before, I'd appreciate some advice! I'm really worried. This mess was also in the very center of the tank where his food and calcium dishes sit. I checked the rest of the tank and objects in it and there wasn't anything wrong with them. :/
    First image is of the top of the paper towel, and the bottom image is when I flipped it over. I doubt if it could even be caused by him running through his food; he's tiny and I only give him a little bit, and I hadn't noticed any marks in it like he'd been in there. I've never heard of a red mould before but... I don't know what else it could be.
    Name:  IMG_6567.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6568.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  75.6 KB

I don't have too much experience in geckos but there's definitely such a thing as red mold. It can actually be any color of the rainbow. Could be something called, simply enough, red mold. Bake the stuff in there that could mold and do another cleaning before you put it back in. Here's an article about baking wood for mold reasons. Low temp for multiple hours to be careful : https://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-a...od-sanitation/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jessicamshannon For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-30-2017)