Thread: Getting a leach as first reptile

Thanks

Question Getting a leach as first reptile

Hi, I'm new to the forum but wanted to post for some advice. Im thinking of getting a leachie as my first reptile. Of course I'm doing all my homework and probably won't get one till the new year but i just wanted to ask about enclosure set up- ill be getting (for a full sized leachie) a 60 X 60 X 90 exo terra (the Xlarge/tall one) and have a UV. ill also have heating on a thermostat as out flat does get cold sometimes. However, as its recommended you gradually upgrade the size of their enclosure if you buy a young leachie- would it be appropriate for me to buy the full size and section off a portion with a divider in the vivarium and then gradually add more room as they grow? rather than buying new set ups constantly? thanks for any help you guys can give me!

I have had comments about not having a leachie as my first reptile but wondered what everyone else thought? others have said its fine as long as i do my research obviously, but now I'm stuck as to whether to get one straight away or not- i was planning on it next year in the June Doncaster reptile expo
    Last edited by Bec; 10-16-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

I don't see any reason not to get a leachie as a first reptile. If you get a young one, you could start out in a 6qt shoebox size plastic tub. I had my leachie in there until he was 38 grams. After that, you could go to the eventual enclosure, which you may want to plant (if you're planning to plant it) while the leachie is growing. You could start by putting relatively low pieces of cork bark in there for the leachie which may keep it from getting too high up and then increase the height of the cork bark as it grows. I keep my leachie in a 45x45x45 and he is quite comfortable there. You could also do well with a 45x45x60 since they don't need to climb that high.

Aliza

Thanks

I don't have one, but have heard that leachies like it "cozy", so a 45x45x45 or 60 might be plenty big enough for an adult. I would think you could section it off with a divider while young, as long as it's not too difficult for you to clean. The plastic tub might be easier while you are just starting out.

Let us know how you do with him or her once you get it! I really like the looks of leachies, but I am not too keen on the mice-feeding. (And for those who have them, how messy are they to clean up after?)
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I have had my leachie for more than 5 years, have never fed her a mouse and don't ever plan to.

Aliza

5. The Following User Says Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-30-2017)

Thanks

We have 2 leachies and same as above. Never fed mice and don't plan on it. I think the mice idea is more for pregnancy and the need for higher protein. Clean up is easy. No different than my cresties.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ranshell For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-30-2017)

Thanks

and BTW, Leachies are our favorite and we have a variety of 16 lizards. All pets, no breeding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ranshell For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-30-2017)