Thread: Getting a gecko from an expo

Thanks

Default Getting a gecko from an expo

Hello again!
    The date of the reptile expo I plan to get my gecko from is coming up soon. I want to make sure I'm prepared with the right questions to ask the breeders, and make a good evaluation of the gecko's health before I get one. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should ask and look for? Any do's and don'ts I should know? Thanks in advance!

Thanks

How exciting! I'm getting a gargoyle gecko from an expo this weekend myself! In regards to your question, I would ask the breeders how old the geckos are and what type of food they are feeding them. Look for a gecko the looks rather alert and clear eyed. They will of course be stressed and upset since they have been traveling and expos are usually loud too so it can be hard to gauge what the gecko will be like in normal conditions. Also do a quick check for wounds, scars or other body issues. You can even ask the breeder about how they care for the geckos though some may be more then eager to tell you and others could be more reserved and not like tons of questions. Be polite and judge the attitude of the breeder. If one seems kinda shady, maybe move on and check out someone else. Don't feel pressured to buy from someone if they answer all your questions, you want to make sure you are getting the perfect gecko for you.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

Aanayab1 (10-29-2017),Lovelyanddekstest (10-25-2017),Rekos (10-25-2017),TAD (10-25-2017)

Thanks

Here is an article I wrote for Gecko Time about attending your first (even if this isn't your first) reptile expo:

http://www.geckotime.com/attending-y...-reptile-show/

Aliza

5. The Following User Says Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

Rekos (10-27-2017)

Thanks

Thank you both!
    That article helps a lot. Could someone elaborate about asking about genetic information? Would that still be important even if I'm not planning to breed my gecko, and would I just ask for a family tree or something like that?

Thanks

I'm not sure how many breeders would actually have a family tree for you. They could probably tell you the morphs of the parents of the gecko if you were curious. If you aren't looking to breed then the lineage isn't as important beyond them hopefully not inbreeding their animals. It's not like buying pure bred cats or dogs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

Rekos (10-27-2017)