Thread: Abandoned snake, Now In my possesion, help

Thanks

Default Abandoned snake, Now In my possesion, help

So I have a friend, who lived in a house with a bunch of people leave and abandon their snake, its been a few weeks and they have tried to contact them but to no avail. So Because I like reptiles and own a few she thought of me. Its a red tail boa, I have little to no experience with snakes..... but I have the resources and space to care for. I was hoping to get advice on this species/what I should do ?/ how to see if its tame,etc. Or any links to helpful info on this particular species. Ty
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

I googled Red Tail Boa care sheet and got a number of sites. (You can do the same.)

Here's one: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snak...or-Caring-For/

It's good to see you back, btw. How did you do through the hurricane with your geckos?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

How big is he? I'd get a snake hook, suitable to his size. Give him a few days to settle into the new place and then try feeding him. If you don't know if he eats live or f/t, I'd get live. I'd use live just so you know he'll eat it. Depending on his size, depends on the size of the meal. If he's over 7 feet, I'd use a small rabbit, or a few x large rats. You should be able to slightly see his food bump. After he poops, you can use the snake hook and see how he reacts. If he's fine with it, go ahead and bring him out and see how he reacts to you. I'd have someone else in the room with you if he's large. And you can't be afraid to be bitten! Expect to be bitten. Keep in mind that this was prob a very stressful few weeks for him, so don't give up if he doesn't appear tame at first try. Rtb tend to be very laid back and mellow. (unfortunately I had one that wasn't lol). He might not be used to a snake hook, so he might try to attack it. A lot of snakes are cage aggressive, and people don't realize that once they're out they're actually very tame snakes, so don't give up on the first try.

You can google Red tail Boa care, you should find lots of care sheets. Make sure he has heat!

It is nice to see you back.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

He/she cuz I dont know isnt huge, Id say 3 or 4 feet, im defiantly researching as much as possible.... Ive never handled any snake larger than a ball python lol all my geckos and other reptiles made thru, it was hot for a while but I managed to fanagle it, with the generator to keep the window ac unit on.
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

So update: I decided after researching to just go ahead and pick the snake up and its totally chill, very curious checking everything out etc. However its defiantly skinny, you can see and feel its spine! I fed it a small rat and it took it immediatly ( in a sep tub). So it has an appetite which is a good sign

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neonprint For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (10-26-2017),TAD (10-26-2017)