Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Very skinny crested gecko

Thanks

Default HELP! Very skinny crested gecko

Hi this is my second post about my crested gecko not eating. I noticed it looks a lot skinnier than when i first got it over a month ago. Itís 5 months old and kept in a 35x35x35 eco terra vivarium. Kept at 23 degrees celcius. Drinks water but never seen it eatin the CGD. I tried hand feeding but it would only take a tiny lick or two. I leave 2 shallow bottle caps in the enclosure but never noticed any gone. I tried repashy and Pangea. I never found any poop during this month .

Few days ago I tried feeding Calci Worms for the first time and he ate two ! I thought it was so good and I will try feeding crickets today (gut loaded and dusted).
    I started feeding live insects out of desperation it will starve. I know itís not recommended to feed insects until itís eating regularly but after a month of him barely eating I got worried.

Anyone know what I should do to get him/her to eat the CGD? Please and thank you

Thanks

Hoping someone more experienced will jump in here. You may want to have it vet-checked for impaction or parasites; both would affect eating. I'd say that at that age, they're not going to eat much that would be noticeable to you. He may be eating and you just don't notice it. What brand of CGD are you offering? Repashy or Pangea? Could you try a different flavor?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

liwia1177 (10-24-2017)

Thanks

I offer mostly Pangea but I would try repashy every other day. I donít think thers anything wrong it is as itís interested in live insects. I will try and get a different Pangea flavor maybe it will work.

Thanks

I agree with TAD- a vet visit would be best. A gecko can be pretty small at 5 months, and it can very extremely hard to notice that he's eating. I stomtimes even think my geckos didn't eat, and they're 30+ grams and I've had them for almost two years haha. What substrate is he on? Is that inches? If so, I would move him to a smaller enclosure, as this one is HUGE for such a little guy. And just because he's interested in live doesn't mean that he's healthy.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I think the tank size is in cm, as the temp was in celsius. If so, that's an 18" square? Kind of big for a 5-month old, so you might want to add an extra feeding ledge - one high and one low. That might help too.
    Last edited by TAD; 10-24-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Eileen

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (10-24-2017)

Thanks

No good vets around and Iím pretty sure they have no idea about reptiles. The viv is 35x35x35 CM it is the small Exo Terra cube I wouldnít get a huge viv for such a tiny gecko haha. The substrate I use is coco fiber the block that you have to put in water first. I used paper towels before. I currently have one bowl of food at the bottom stick and the top stick, I have seen it sittin there so thatís where I placed the food. Thanks

Thanks

Itís true maybe I donít even realize itís eating haha I do make sure it eats at least a bit when I hand feed it every second day which I know is not really recommended but I want him to be healthy

Thanks

The coco fiber might still be dangerous for one so little. I'd stick to the paper towels until he's at 15-20 grams.
    Eileen

Thanks

My creste is a bit older than yours but i added a low wattage heat light and he has ate more this week than he has in months!!

Thanks

Thank you I decided to add a heat bulb too