Thread: Hello everyone - new crested gecko owner

Thanks

Default Hello everyone - new crested gecko owner

I know this question gets asked a lot but I would make me feel better to see what others thought. I have had lepord geckos in the past but Seymour is my first crestie ( I did a lot of research before hand but its nice to get some real life experience) .
    I wanna see if his body weight looks good to you. Seymour is roughly 7 months old ( I believe) I've had him roughly 10 days now & his feeding has slowed a bit, seemed to eat the food pretty steady at first and two crickets then didn't move much for the last 3 days until I spoon feed him some Repasy food ( he seems pretty unintused by it) and is being active again tonight.
    Humidity ranges from 50 -90 % I mist twice a day (morning/night)
    Heat ranges from 60 -80 degrees but mostly sits around 75 degrees if I notice it get to 80 I turn it down I fear heat stress.
    I do handle him when he asks to be out, I have not got a tall tank yet but I do have lots for him to climb. He is a gusty little guy and if he notices the cat looking into the cage he will front on her ( don't worry this doesn't happen a lot the cat is not granted access to the room when we are not around) I'm not sure what morph he is or if he's really a boy. I guess I just think his hips look a little skinny and want to get some feed back. I would also love any tips, I do have a scale on the way to i cam start keeping track & I am thinking about changing food.
    I attached some photos - I've also noticed quite the color change his is now a beautiful orange yellow with black and red spots when I first brought Seymour home he was a pale yellow the black spots. Name:  IMG_20171022_003007_923.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  91.9 KBName:  IMG_20171021_223736_050.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  82.5 KBName:  IMG_20171017_154540_365.jpg
Size:  87.4 KBName:  IMG_20171010_223700_800.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_20171005_115802_862.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB

Thanks

I think he looks okay; cresties are generally thinner in the hip area. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Once you have the scale it'll ease your worries. I always think my crestie is too skinny and then I weigh him (like today) and he's actually gained a lot of weight...

Thanks

Thank you! Its super nice to get feed back - sometimes it can be hard to judge from the reading. I am super excited about the scale so I can keep track of his growth. I been looking into coloring is he a tiger with spots?

Thanks

I'll add that often geckos seem to stretch out and it makes them look super skinny when they are fine.

Crested geckos also fire up and down depending on mood and environment. The color change between firing up and down can be pretty extreme and is likely what you are experiencing.

Thanks

Okay, that makes sense.
    That's what I was thinking and also thought maybe he went threw a shed as well? He hasn't been the pale color since he was in the pet store. Is it bad for him to always be flared? The pet store cage was roughly 5 gal with one plant and there where two 7 month old geckos in it. He has since been updated to a 20 gal by himself

Thanks

I'm not very good with morphs but yeah, I think Tiger seems right. They're Dalmatians when they have spots, but I don't know if there's a certain number they need before they're officially a Dalmatian. "Super Dalmatians" are covered in spots.

He could definitely have shed; that could also be why he was so lazy for a couple days - sometimes my gecko doesn't like to do or eat much before a shed. I've noticed that the "fancy crested geckos" at the pet store near me are so pale they look like ghosts. It could be a stress-related thing maybe. They're also all piled in together in a tiny space... The store has lots of empty tanks but everybody's gotta be in one for some reason...