Thread: Cut on nose?

Thanks

Default Cut on nose?

I just noticed this yesterday when I was cleaning his cage. It's recent because I had just checked on him two days before that.

I'm not too worried about the actual cut because it's small, and I can get him to a vet if necessary. The issue is that he's had a cut before, not in the exact same place but near the same area. He's also missing some scales around the injury. So I'm assuming he's rubbing his nose on something in the cage. I've checked all of the plants for any sharp bits, and the screen of the Exoterra. Only other rough surface in the cage is his cork bark, but the first cut appeared weeks before I put that in (but I've also checked it for sharp pieces).

So the only thing I can think of is that he's rubbing his nose on the screen, but I can't think of any ways to get him to stop if that's the case. Any ideas?
    (Sorry for poor quality, I will try to get a better picture tonight if anyone wants to see a closer picture)

Thanks

This does look like a classic nose rubbing on screen injury, and a pretty mild one, at that. It should heal just fine. I had one gecko who did this a lot and then stopped cold turkey, probably when he figured out the connection between his behaviour and his painful nose. He hasn't done it in years. Maybe your gecko just needs to learn that this is a dumb idea, too.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Thank you. I am also sure that it will heal fine, I mostly just don't want him to keep doing this.

I'm thinking now that maybe he has been using the screen to help him shed while he didn't have cork bark or his coconut (had to throw out both when I had issues with mites, since I didn't want to risk them still having eggs inside). Both things have been replaced recently, so maybe he just has to get used to using it again. He definitely never had this problem in the year that I've had him, until the cork bark was thrown away. And in the past I've found pieces of shed on the bark so I know he uses is.

Thanks

My little one spends a lot of time bashing his ace against the glass because he thinks I'm a giant locust :P He started getting noserub back in June, and it's looking a lot better now a few months on If you're concerned, and you think you can get it on him, your vet could probably give you an ointment for his nose.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko, Calcifer