Thread: Crested Gecko cloudy eye help!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Crested Gecko cloudy eye help!!!!!!

hey everyone, as of yesterday when i took my little buddy out for a routine health check, i noticed a cloudy spot on his left eye. the spot is about 1/3 the size of his eye. I first assumed a bad shed and gave him a sauna as well as a gentle brushing with a q-tip in hopes to dislodge the skin. unfortunately nothing came off and doesn't seem to be a film on the outside of the eye. Thankfully I have an antibiotic ointment for his eyes arriving tomorrow as prescribed by his vet in case this is an infection of any sorts but the vet also told me this could be caused by UVB. I have a UVB bulb just to help the plants and keep a healthy day/night cycle but the day i noticed an issue with his eye is the same day he slept with that exact eye pointing directly at the light. So what do you guys think, have any of you guys ever heard of UVB causing this issue, now that i think of it, it seems obvious but id like to know if anyone has seen this before?
    P.S: He is 3 months old, eating and pooping fine and isn't showing any discomfort or sluggishness and only noticed this yesterday

Thanks

Could you please attach a clear photograph of the eye? That would make offering advice much easier.
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Revasius For This Useful Post:

Moosemaster (10-18-2017)

Thanks

A picture would be helpful. And really glad you consulted a vet already. What kind of UVB bulb do you use? Maybe it is too powerful. I have heard of first-generation compact UVB bulbs causing eye problems especially in turtles, but the newer ones are supposedly less risky. Still it depends what kind of bulb you use, and how close the gecko may get to it. Just for the plants, you can also get an LED lamp like Arcadia jungle dawn, and only use UVB around noon, so that the gecko can get some UVB but is not exposed to it all the time.

About the eye: it could as well be an infection after an injury like a scratch, and antibiotics may be a good idea. I would watch it closely, in case it may be something else like a fungal infection, where the antibiotics won't help.

I do not know to which extent human eyes compare to gecko eyes, but I just had a bacterial infection of the cornea in my own eye (also showed up as a cloudy spot). It is much better now thanks to antibiotics, but the eye was extremely light sensitive for the first few days. So maybe it would be good to switch off the UV light until your gecko's eye is better. It may not be the cause of the problem, but may be painful for the gecko right now.

Hope your gecko gets better soon!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

Moosemaster (10-18-2017)

Thanks

Just for future notice of anyone who comes across, it was a bacterial infection and after treating him with the ointment, his eye looks great again. Thanks for the concern and help

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moosemaster For This Useful Post:

Lucia (10-19-2017),TAD (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemaster View Post
    Just for future notice of anyone who comes across, it was a bacterial infection and after treating him with the ointment, his eye looks great again. Thanks for the concern and help
    That is great news! Thank you for sharing, and glad your gecko is better!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)