Thread: Tips and Tricks for First Time Crestie Owners

Thanks

Question Tips and Tricks for First Time Crestie Owners

Hi, guys. I'm exploring the idea of getting a Crested Gecko, and though I've owned other reptiles in the past, this will be my first Ciliatus. What tips, tricks, and information do you wish someone had told you when you got your first Crestie?

Thanks

Leave toilet roll out when you hold him incase they go to the toilet on you. If you use a tank with a foam background, stuff toilet roll in the gap at the top (and bottom if they could get to it). My gecko was able to climb down the back and it was hard to get him out. Their weight goes up a bit slowly and its sometimes worrying if they dont gain weight. They will eat as much as they want and if you feed calciworms or another insect along with a staple diet that might help.

Thanks

Thanks, those are all good things to know.

Should I look for a baby or adult for my first one? Is there a difference in care? I find the babies really cute, but if it's better to start with an adult for experience reasons, so be it.

I've cared for iguanas, Bearded dragons, Ball Pythons and others in the past with success. I rehomed them when I moved ~500 miles (804.67 km) away; I felt it wasn't fair to move them that far by car, as it would be very stressful, and that I didn't have a strong assurance of financial and living stability in my new city. It's been a few years since then, and now I'm looking for something cute and at least semi-social that doesn't require as complex care as some of the species I've cared for in the past.

From what I've read these guys seem to be pretty simple and inexpensive, beyond the startup cost; they benefit from low-range UVB but don't necessarily require it, and the area I live in now is well within their heat and humidity ranges. If anything, I'd be looking for ways to cool the gecko's enclosure in the summers. I've heard the larger bags of Pangea complete powder can last up to a year for a single gecko; is this referring to the 1/2 lb bags? Or are there bigger ones I haven't found for sale yet? Does the powder "go bad" so to speak?