Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: parasites?

Wow. Okay. I guess I can quit worrying (ha ha yeah right. im a worry wart). I guess i'll be doing more wipedowns then if I dont have to rinse as well as I did.

Yeah I tossed the wood. Thankfully it was under $20 worth so its not too hard a hit to the wallet. I dont normally put anything expensive in until quarantine is done.

Thank you! I'm really hoping that this will be it and I wont need more meds after his next dose. Cause doing all this cleaning for him is kind of putting me behind in deep cleans of the other geckos. Of course the problems all have to happen when work is crazy.
    4.3.0 crested geckos
    4.0.0 cats

Another thing that might help is that my gecko would poop most of the time while I was giving her the medicine. If she didn’t, I put her in a sauna/bath for a little while afterwards. This usually got her to poop and cut down on my cleaning her cage

But then giardia is transmitted via feces- not sure about yours. Worth a try to get a potty trained gecko! Feel free to PM me too, if there’s anything else. Might be faster than posting here, though it’s good to have it on record if anyone else has the same problem in the future!

Quick question for those involved in this thread. I've been seeing that many members either make their own disinfectant or buy the one on Pangea. But I use Fluker's Organic Cleaner (I used to use Zoo Med's Wipe Out 1 but no longer do). I honestly like it. It's easily available at pet stores so I don't need to wait for it to arrive if I need it immediately and it doesn't leave a strong odor and doesn't contain harsh chemicals.

Has anyone/does anyone else use this?

Quote Originally Posted by aofaj View Post
    Quick question for those involved in this thread. I've been seeing that many members either make their own disinfectant or buy the one on Pangea. But I use Fluker's Organic Cleaner (I used to use Zoo Med's Wipe Out 1 but no longer do). I honestly like it. It's easily available at pet stores so I don't need to wait for it to arrive if I need it immediately and it doesn't leave a strong odor and doesn't contain harsh chemicals.

Has anyone/does anyone else use this?
    I’ve never used it, but I just looked it up on petco’s website. I’m skeptical because all it says is that it “dissolves organic matter” (so does plain water!) and “contains all natural enzymes” which just sounds like marketing terms. What would be an unnatural enzyme? What do the enzymes do? There aren’t any bacteriocidal enzymes that can be bottled at room temp that I know of.

“Regular use can reduce the spread of bacterial infections in your animals.” Yes, well so does rinsing with plain water but no one thinks that disinfects anything.

I’d save your money and use something that’s backed up by science I use F10 because it covers a wide range of pathogens, has been widely used (so problems probably would have been reported by now) and doesn’t need rinsing (like bleach).

A lot of homemade cleaners like vinegar/water are good for removing mineral residue on glass but also are very poor disinfection agents.

Hello everyone! I thought I would hop onto this thread since a lot of the “poop threads” are pretty old. My male crestie has had some massive poops lately and I am not sure if he has parasites or not. Background info:Tank temps 70-74F humidity 76 and falls to 50 before spraying again. spray twice a day. Diet is Pangea cgd with insects. Poop is almost 2 inches in length, solid but soft, and smells. His weight is 48 grams. I have a photo of it on my phone but I’m not sure how to add it. I don’t see an option to add an attachment. Thanks!

Adult geckos can take some pretty massive poops and stink. If you use eco earth, it can help eliminate the odor. If I spot a massive poop or if there is one that stinks I just grab my scoop and mix it into the eco earth. But sounds like your gecko is fine. Of course wait to see what others think.

Can you take a poop sample to a vet to check for parasites? Just to be on the safe side...
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0