Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHE LAID EGGS!

Thanks

Exclamation SHE LAID EGGS!

So my crested gecko that I adopted 3 weeks ago just laid 2 big white eggs (that are most likely fertile) in her lay box. Before I got her she was housed with males and was a breeder. This is my very first reptile so I am freaking out. I want to make sure I don't mess anything up.
    I found her in her lay box at around 4 pm today, and maybe she was in it for a while before that. When I left for work at 5:45pm, she was still in her lay box. I just got home from work 10 minutes ago (at 11:15pm) and I didn't see her in any of her usual places in the tank. I carefully lifted up her lay box (which is a clear Tupperware with a blue lid and is filled with slightly moist spagnum moss) and looked from underneath. From the bottom I could see 2 big white eggs and my gecko in the box right next to them.
    What should I do? I heard I need to mark the top of the eggs, what should I use to mark them? Why hasn't she gotten out of the lay box yet? I have a feeling the spagnum moss in the lay box is not moist enough, as I haven't misted the lay box in a few days. Should I must the box once my gecko gets out of it? I am taking the eggs to a reptile store about 30 minutes away tomorrow afternoon. This store incubates and raises eggs that customers don't want. How should I take the eggs to the store using the lay box or something else?
    I am feeling like a terrible owner. I really pride myself in researching pets before getting them, and I researched crested geckos for a month before getting one, but I feel so lost right now. Sadly, the lowest the humidity drops to during the day is usually only 65-70% even though I only mist at night. First the humidity problem (which I still haven't been able to fix) and now she's laid eggs and I feel lost once again. I feel so bad! I hope I can fix the humidity problem and learn more about what to when a gecko lays eggs!
    0.1.0.4 Crested Gecko: Bluebell 🦎
    0.1 Syrian Hamster: Posie 🐹
    0.1 Domestic Short Hair Calico Cat: Cookie 🐈
    1.0 Double Tail Betta: Arctic 🌊

Thanks

Those are some good questions! I'd like to know the answers too �� I'd definitely be in the same boat as you if I was in that situation.

Thanks

I wouldn't over stress if you are taking them back to the pet store which by the time this reply gets approved you'd probably already done so. But the moss should keep the eggs hydrated enough for until then. Pangea has a little information on breeding and egg care (http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/c...-sheet-en.html) but there are great youtube videos out there. Important thing is to not freak out and over think! You go this, you're not a terrible owner, we all make mistakes, we all learn. Sometimes you have to learn on your toes. Let us know how everything worked out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aofaj For This Useful Post:

Madiipons (09-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madiipons View Post
    Those are some good questions! I'd like to know the answers too �� I'd definitely be in the same boat as you if I was in that situation.
    It can be scary! :c I hope everything will be okay.
    Update: I've decided to keep and incubate the eggs because I heard that there is a chance they could die on a car ride.
    This morning she got out of the lay box. I removed the lay box from her enclose once she got out. The eggs are still burried at the very bottom of the lay box underneath 2-5 inches of moist spagnum moss. Will they be okay in the lay box for 3-7 days? Today I ordered Hatchrite, a medium plastic incubation cup, an incubation insert plastic level, and Pangea's Breeding formula, all off of the pangea website and these items won't arrive for 3-7 days. I have not touched, marked, or candled the eggs yet. Will she be okay without a lay box in her enclosure for the next week?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Also, I have no plans to breed her. I am just going to feed her the Pangea breeding formula so that she can lay healthy eggs since she was kept with males at her previous home. Is there anything else I need for the eggs? Thanks!
    How can I keep her weight up? Sadly, she was kept with males and bred in her previous home even though she is only 35 grams. She is about 7 years old.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by CrestedCritters; 09-08-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks

If you have another small tupperware container put some moist spaghnum moss in the bottom of it and lay the eggs on that. You don't need any holes or anything in the container because that can cause the eggs to dry out. Use a small flash light or turn the flash on on your phone and look for a red "cheerio." I use oil pencils that my dad picked up for me from a hardware store to mark the center of the cheerio and I also write the date that the egg was laid. You should be able to use a regular pencil or ink pen to mark the eggs as well. I place the egg with the cheerio facing up but some people place them exactly how they found them where they were laid. My females usually stay pretty close to where they laid their eggs for a few hours. I just assumed it was because they are exhausted from laying them but I'm not actually sure why they do it. If you don't want her to lay more eggs you can cool her. There are a few helpful threads here on Pangea that will explain exactly how to do it.
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston"1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys"1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn"1.3.6.6 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sareena For This Useful Post:

Madiipons (09-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aofaj View Post
    I wouldn't over stress if you are taking them back to the pet store which by the time this reply gets approved you'd probably already done so. But the moss should keep the eggs hydrated enough for until then. Pangea has a little information on breeding and egg care (http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/c...-sheet-en.html) but there are great youtube videos out there. Important thing is to not freak out and over think! You go this, you're not a terrible owner, we all make mistakes, we all learn. Sometimes you have to learn on your toes. Let us know how everything worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sareena View Post
    If you have another small tupperware container put some moist spaghnum moss in the bottom of it and lay the eggs on that. You don't need any holes or anything in the container because that can cause the eggs to dry out. Use a small flash light or turn the flash on on your phone and look for a red "cheerio." I use oil pencils that my dad picked up for me from a hardware store to mark the center of the cheerio and I also write the date that the egg was laid. You should be able to use a regular pencil or ink pen to mark the eggs as well. I place the egg with the cheerio facing up but some people place them exactly how they found them where they were laid. My females usually stay pretty close to where they laid their eggs for a few hours. I just assumed it was because they are exhausted from laying them but I'm not actually sure why they do it. If you don't want her to lay more eggs you can cool her. There are a few helpful threads here on Pangea that will explain exactly how to do it.
    Thanks guys! I have decided to incubate the eggs because I've heard traveling with them can be dangerous!
    So I just candled the eggs my crested gecko laid on 9/6/17. I hadn't moved them or touched them until now.
    The good news: Both are fertilized! I can see obvious "cheerios" on both!
    The bad news: I don't know if they will survive. They were in spagnum moss that was barely moist until now. The first egg looks great, but my gecko must have moved it or laid it upside down. The "cheerio" was on the bottom! I turned it so that the cheerio is now right side up on the top, and marked the egg with a pencil. Should I turn it back so that the cheerio is back on the bottom like how it was when I found it?
    The second egg also looks great and the cheerio is visible. With this egg, the cheerio was slightly to the side, but near the "right side up." I marked the center of the cheerio and turned it so that the cheerio is exactly right side up.
    I moistened the spagnum moss and set each egg, cheerio right side up, on top of the moss.
    I have Hatchrite and incubation stuff coming in the mail.
    What do you think of the eggs? Based on how they were laid, are they likely to survive?
    I did not breed my gecko. I adopted her from a home where she was a breeder who was housed with males.
    Thank you!

Thanks

Remember not to over think or panic! haha.
    I suggest getting the moss wet in a separate tub by using a spray bottle. Once you have done that, drain an excess water from the moss (think of it like a wet towel). Place the moss around the eggs and a little on top the eggs and let the eggs hydrate themselves. You don't want to over hydrate. If you begin to see the eggs "sweat" move some the moss away from the eggs. I believe you are suppose to keep the "cheerio" on top even if the gecko mistakenly knocks it over. Since you have decided to keep the eggs it is important that you continue to research and not rely on just on this thread.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aofaj For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (09-12-2017),Madiipons (09-10-2017)

Thanks

UPDATE: The eggs still look good, as far as I can tell. I received the Hatchrite and the incubation cup and stuff that I ordered from Pangea. I poked TONS of holes in the top of the cup, but did I poke too many? This is a photo of the lid.
    Name:  rsz_20170912_164447.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  86.3 KBName:  rsz_20170912_164622.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  89.7 KB
    And I know the incubation cup is huge. I guess I didn't pay very good attention to the size when I ordered xD

Thanks

I don't think too many as they are very tiny. You need some airflow in there. Hopefully others can give more advice!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Oh my those are tiny eggs for such a giant container! lol
    But that seems fine to me. Just keep a lookout on the humidity as usual.