Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crested gecko not eating

Thanks

Default Crested gecko not eating

Hi, I bought a 4 months old crested gecko around 3 weeks ago. He seems to settle in fine and let?s me handle him every other day. He?s kept at around 23/24 degrees, has sticks and fake plants he climbs on. I mist the vivarium in the morning and before I go to sleep (I mist it really well). I got him of a local breeder who said he was fed Pangea before. I put his little food bowl on one of the sticks so its plced high up.

My Crestie seems quite skinny. I have seen him drink water from the glass and leaves guite a lot but never found any poop or actually see him eat from his food bowl. The only time he eats is when I put it on my finger and put it close to him. He lickes it a few times but thats it. I know hes still very small but Im worried because he does look skinny. I try feeding him Pangea banana and papaya flavour and Zoo meds crested gecko diet . Help please and thank you

Thanks

Do you keep track of it's weight / length to see if it is loosing or gaining weight? Maybe it isn't loosing weight and is just growing. Mind letting us know the current weight weight?

Thanks

I donít know his/her weight as I donít have an accurate weighting scales :/ I could measure the length but I donít want to put it through stress if handling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aofaj View Post
    Do you keep track of it's weight / length to see if it is loosing or gaining weight? Maybe it isn't loosing weight and is just growing. Mind letting us know the current weight weight?
    I donít know itís weight as I donít have an accurate weighting scales :/ I could measure the length but I donít want to put it through stress of handling

Thanks

UPDATE : Iím tryin to make sure he eats so I offer him Pangea on a spoon. He always licked a bit but tonight he seemed really interested and ate a good bit so this is a good sign ! Also I offered him water from a syringe and let drops of water out beside him, he started running after them as if he was trying to hunt them and even bit the siringe by accident, Iím sure he will love to hunt some live insects. I will also try and measure his length

Thanks

Glad to hear that he is showing signs of a better appetite. I suggest buying a scale and keeping record his weight for future reference. You can find them in the food appliance section of stores like walmart and they aren't expensive. I got mine for like $12. It comes in handy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aofaj View Post
    Glad to hear that he is showing signs of a better appetite. I suggest buying a scale and keeping record his weight for future reference. You can find them in the food appliance section of stores like walmart and they aren't expensive. I got mine for like $12. It comes in handy.
    Itís a good idea I will get one as soon as I find it. He was interested in the food today as well, he keeps tryin to hunt it at the start so I decided to start feeding him insects. Donít understand why he doesnít want to eat from his bowl but I really donít mind feeding him myself, whatever keeps him healthy

Thanks

He is a few months old, sometimes babies are a bit tricky to get feeding on their own. Maybe the bowl is a to deep? Try tilting the bowl on it's side he has easier access to the food and place the bowl where he usually sleeps/hides. With you feeding him he will start to recognize the smell of the food and be able to find it on his own better. It's also good that you're going to start feeding him live insects! Remember to feed small, gut load (i know something else you have to learn) and dust with calcium. Good luck!

Thanks

Just want to say that if you hand/spoon feed they may get into the habit of it and you may never get them to eat out of a bowl. My two geckos are not huge eaters like they maybe eat a few times a week and not much but my adult never looses weight and my young one is gaining weight and growing so I know they are ok. Weighing is key because they really don't need to eat much. A gecko is different them a dog. If they are kept at lower temperatures for their range they will eat less since their metabolism will be slower.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Orchidilia For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidilia View Post
    Just want to say that if you hand/spoon feed they may get into the habit of it and you may never get them to eat out of a bowl. My two geckos are not huge eaters like they maybe eat a few times a week and not much but my adult never looses weight and my young one is gaining weight and growing so I know they are ok. Weighing is key because they really don't need to eat much. A gecko is different them a dog. If they are kept at lower temperatures for their range they will eat less since their metabolism will be slower.

Heís kept at 23 degrees Celsius I see that okay ? I will decrease the handfeeding to only every other day and then stop, thank you