Thread: Easy way of doing substrate

Thanks

Default Easy way of doing substrate

Someone recently asked about switching to cocnut fiber (as opposed to paper towel) because they wanted to boost the humidity in their tank. I told them how I do it, but then I got to thinking that you guys might have some criticisms/critiques about it. Or, best case scenario, my trick is problem free and I add some life-hacks to the forum knowledge. I take a large paper bag or two normal paper bags, cut it few inches tall, put them in the bottom of my tank so that the whole bottom is covered (some folding of the edges is sometimes required), then I pour in my eco-earth. That way when I need to change the eco earth I can just lift out the paper bags and all the eco earth inside and toss it all in the compost heap. Takes less than 20 seconds and it works when you want to do a full deep clean. I was thinking that when I switch my guy into the bigger tank I will just do the same thing but with an unscented plastic garbage bag. It's how I change my cat litter every month (don't worry, I do daily scoopings too) and so when it came to the gecko I just adapted the process for him/her. What do you think? Do you foresee any problems with this? What do you think?

Thanks

I guess if you change it fairly often maybe it won't get too wet. Without the drainage layer (or maybe you're putting the paper bag and substrate on top of the drainage layer?) things may get pretty soggy. I plan for my enclosures to be ongoing ecosystems so I don't switch out my substrate.

Aliza

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I guess if you change it fairly often maybe it won't get too wet. Without the drainage layer (or maybe you're putting the paper bag and substrate on top of the drainage layer?) things may get pretty soggy. I plan for my enclosures to be ongoing ecosystems so I don't switch out my substrate.

Aliza
    I do put the paper bags on hydroballs. It seems fine. I usually poke a few small holes in the paper bags. ANd things can get pretty humid in here. My baby crested gecko enclosure never dries but I haven't been having that problem in the large enclosure, which is in the dry half of my room. The weird things you own when you have reptiles- like which parts of your room have the best ventilation and the best humidity controls. That'd make a good thread. Weird reptile things you learn, I mean.

Thanks

Glad it's working out for you. It sounds like a reasonable technique.

Aliza