Thread: can't seem to get my crested to be calm around me

Thanks

Default can't seem to get my crested to be calm around me

I have had my crested for a little over two months now and i still have trouble trying to get him to calm down. He is a year old and male, but he is very skittish which is frustrating at the moment. I do love him and wouldn't give him away but it's really difficult because he will go wild in the cage if i try and touch him. When i first got him the lady picked him up no problem but with me he ended up not being like that. i did let him have time to settle in for a bit but no difference. And i don't know if this can be a part of this but about around last month he hopped out of the container i had him in while i was trying to put the lid on because i was cleaning. and my bed has drawers underneath and he ended up hopping into a small corner of my mattress which leads under the bed and i could only get him out moving around the bed and i wasn't able to catch him with my hands so i had to put the container over him when i was able to. He goes wild around the cage when i try and touch him and it makes me concerned because i don't know why he's like that and i need to clean his cage soon but he wont climb onto anything i put near him. I don't want him to escape again because that was a lot. He is also my first reptile btw.

Thanks

Someone else suggested using a toilet paper roll to try and get him to go into that (you can hold your hand over one end to prevent escape), and then put that in the container with him in it.

Your gecko may be one that just does not enjoy handling - I have one like that too, and I'm fine with him as a display animal, but I know cleaning can be difficult if they're hopping all over! I would try the toilet paper roll trick.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I had my chance today and found him inside the toilet paper, once i opened the door i very carefully and quietly place a small thing in front so he couldn't run out and then as i picked him up he must've gotten scared and went to the bathroom. and as i almost had him out i removed my front hand a little and he bolted back into the cage. It's extremely frustrating and now i can't get him back out because i would have to chase him around and i don't wanna stress him but his cage really needs to be clean. And i don't know if its probably as easier as I'm making it seem, but i get EXTREMELY anxious when it comes to trying to handle him at any time and i have a hard time trying to calm down when I'm anxious. Is there another way for me to get him out and me not feel so anxious?? after i lost him in my room i've just become a wreck around him.

Thanks

I can definitely relate to the anxiety issue! I've had Calcifer for 9 months and I'm just starting to get used to how jumpy he can be, as a fellow year old male. If you're feeding your Crestie live food like locusts or crickets, I used to use those to lure Calcifer into his travel tank as he's VERY prey orientated.

What you could try is to pick up a locust in a pair of those massive metal tweezers, have the travel container ready and line it up so it's easier to lure your crestie in. Hold the tweezers within their view-eyeline - but you don't want the locust too close as your crestie will soon have that and you'll have made no progress. You want to have it far enough away that they'll need to stalk it, rather than dart in and snatch it up. As your crestie starts moving towards the tweezers, move them further away and closer to the travel tank or whatever you're planning on keeping him in whilst you clean his viv. When the tweezers are close enough, you can drop the locust in the container for your crestie to hunt down, and he should jump right in It may take a couple of insects to get him in there.

Remember to be very slow and calm with your movements - this is a good opportunity to get him used to your hands being in the viv without them swooping around him in a scary fashion.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko, Calcifer

Thanks

Another thing you could try is to carefully take out as many things from your viv as you can (that need cleaning) to free up some room, and then see if you can get him to go on the glass. Then pop a deli cup or similar over him, and slide a piece of thin cardboard slowly between the cup and the glass so he's inside. If you can get him safely into that, set the deli cup somewhere safe with the cardboard on top of it, and put something on top of it so he can't escape (but that won't cave in!) until you're done cleaning the cage.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Crested geckos do have different personalities. I have a 2 year old female who is very 'social', but even she does not like to be touched sometimes. She just has a very clear way of communicating that (squeaking). My male crestie is 4 months older and much more skittish. He does not squeak, he just runs like greased lightning. I have to approach him very carefully, first let him see my hand, then gently touch him under the chin and carefully move my hand under him. He is usually much calmer once he is outside his tank.

Be patient with your gecko. I would stick my hands in the tank every day, and try to gently touch the gecko, but not necessarily pick him up just yet. I found they are much more comfortable if you touch them where they could lick or bite you, if they wanted. Try to stroke him under the chin first.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

emma (10-10-2017)

Thanks

As others have said each gecko is an individual. You have to learn what works for your geckos. My male Ruin is chill 90% of the time, I can stick my hand in and pick him up with no problems. My female Preservation hates being handled but deals better with reaching in and picking her up right off the bat rather than going slow. With my babies I go slow until I learn what works for them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyPaws For This Useful Post:

emma (10-10-2017)

Thanks

thank you everyone, i will try and see if i can get under his chin a bit because i have done it before and go from there. If not then ill try and bait him into a little container lol