Thread: Get Crested Gecko Juvenile to Eat Crickets on Their Own?

Thanks

Default Get Crested Gecko Juvenile to Eat Crickets on Their Own?

I have a crested gecko that was a few weeks old when I got him/her in July. I have been feeding 2-3 crickets twice a week and sometimes skip a cricket feeding. (Do not worry I always have Pangea fruit mix with insects offered.) This isn't exactly a problem, but how can I get him to eat crickets by himself? I usually put him in a plastic tupperware and feed him that way. He will readily eat crickets that have pangea on them, but has only attacked a cricket (successfully) once. The only other attack he bit the tweezers I use... How can I get him to eat crickets all by himself?
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko "Chilli"

Thanks

because crickets can jump, i wouldn't recommend leaving them unattended in his tank in a dish of any sort. Crickets are notorious for being flesh biters, so your gecko could become their next victim.

If you want a relaxed way to feed insects without pulling the gecko out of the tank, I recommend either dubia roaches, or black soldier fly larva (also goes by Nutrigrubs, Phoenix Worms, and CalciWorms... they all the same grub). Both are unable to climb the smooth surfaces of cups/dishes and can't jump/fly out. They'd be safe to leave in the tanks unattended and they're super cheap to order online if your local shops don't have them.

(dubiaroaches.com is where I ordered my roaches, but I have a colony now so I don't order bugs anymore lol)
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

i checked out the dubia website (those would be my choice because neither of my geckos showed any interest in the Phoenix worms), but it says they're not shipping any more now until mid-January due to holiday delays and cold weather. I don't know if that is an old message on their website, or if that's in effect now.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I get mine from dubideli.com

They let you pick up to three samples and only pay shipping ($7), which is a great way to try out dubias. They give you so many extras and the roaches are so easy to keep that the samples lasted my one gecko all summer. (They got too big for her to eat, still had plenty left haha).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jubilos For This Useful Post:

TAD (10-01-2017)

Thanks

ah it's probably a current message, as i haven't seen it up before (then again haven't checked the site for awhile but yeah) Makes sense though. Dubia roaches are tropical roaches... if they hit a cold streak you could end up with a box O' dead roaches @_@
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

If you are in a region where dubia roaches are illegal, such as Canada, one thing you can do is crush a calcium-dusted cricket and put it in your tupperware live feeding container before letting your gecko "hunt" it.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)